Chapter 1-Hope

Her breaths fogged the air.

It was cold. 

It was so cold she couldn't feel her fingers.  Her nose was numb and her toes felt like lumps of coal in her dirty, wet sneakers.

She shivers. 

The sun set long ago but because of the snow fall, the whiteness contrasted brightly against the darkness. 

The London streets were void of human life.  Every surface was packed with white snow.  Cars, homes, streets, even the lamps and signs were covered.  People were safely tucked in their warm homes comfortably watching television, cooking dinner, or safe asleep in their warm, soft beds. 

Everyone except her. 

A homeless girl with no family, no food, and no place to go.  All alone in the deserted streets seeking shelter and hoping she'd stay alive until morning.  

She tugged the hood of the torn parka closer to her face to help shield her face from the vicious gust of icy wind slapping her cheeks like icicles, and kept her head down.  The parka, along with the shoes she could barely wiggle her toes in, were found discarded in the dumpster one night.  She took full advantage of anything she could get her hands on to help her survive, even if she was forced to go through garbage to find it. 

The rubber sole of the sneakers were worn out and slightly detached from the shoe itself.  The dirty, worn jeans had rips here and there which couldn't prevent the bare touch of the cold. Every movement felt stiff, to the point she could scarcely walk.  She was terrified she might collapse on the road.

A shudder racked her body violently as the thick snow flakes dropped from the dark sky and hit her face, continuing to drudge forward in a slow sluggish pace.  The wind beat against her body.  It felt like she was climbing a mountain.

She needed to find shelter soon or she'd freeze to death. 

She roamed the streets trying to find a place to shield her from the strong winds and heavy snow.  Sometimes the townhome structures helped but when the owners found her hovering around their property they yelled at her or threatened to call the police.  With no other choice but to keep moving, she fought to survive against the below zero temperatures. 

Time meant nothing to her.  She could not recall the exact date let alone the month.  But with the weather turning bad as it was, she could only guess they were in the middle of winter. The last time she checked it was October.

She heard a car pull up behind her knowing she should be frightened, but she was so miserable and cold she didn't care.  The streets were no place to be alone in the dark. 

Let whoever it was rob her of the money she did not have or the torn tissue she used to wipe her running nose from the cold.   Let whoever it was shoot her so she wouldn't have to feel pain anymore. 

She didn't have anything.  She was a nobody.  No identity, no home.  Just a lonesome girl struggling to survive everyday. 

A door slammed.

Her breath caught.  She swallowed, feeling the cords of her throat close, the fear monetarily forgotten filled her, clogging her airway.

There was a crunch on the paved sidewalk behind her.  Loud, even in the howling wind.  She tensed and snuck a quick look, blinking away the snowflakes coating her lashes.  It was possible she was about to be robbed, raped or killed by a complete stranger.  She should have ran when she had the chance, she thought glumly. But of course she hadn't, her heart sinking. 

There was nothing but a shadow of a figure, quite possible a man from the looks of the outline of the body.  The ambient glow from the nearest streetlight was no help.