Epilogue- Forever After

It all felt like a dream.

Snippets of conversations held in low murmurs.

The beeping monitors.

The smell of latex.

It was impossible to tell how much time had passed. . .

Days.

Weeks.

Months.

Hope had not dreamt of anything under sedation except she heard voices.

Not aware to comprehend who the voice belonged to, she received the sense it was Zayn. His caring tone, his soft touch. His firm kisses to her hands and face.

He would talk to her.

It was low and soothing, sometimes desperate. Other times it was gentle mixed with a hint of protectiveness.

It was his voice, his persistence, that urging tone of his in which she found strength to finally manage to break out of the heaviness that kept her under.

When the scent of antiseptics and plastic filled her nose she instantly understood where she was.

A hospital. It triggered her heart rate to accelerate and her fear to take over her. She began to panic.
The monitors went off erratically. She tried to scream but her limbs were heavy as if she was restrained, her body unconsciously lifting from the bed.

The tube in her throat hurt. She couldn't breathe. She couldn't speak.

Someone yells.

She wanted to get up.

She needed help.

She needed to be freed.

That same voice yells once more.

Moments later she was surrounded by nurses and doctors.

They spoke quickly, but Hope could not concentrate on what they said, continuing to panic.

Hope's eyelids began to get heavy. She fought to keep them open but failed. Before she knew it she was unconscious again.

*****

Bright lights overhead.

Hope blinked several times to clear her vision.

There was no longer a tube in her throat. However, It was sore and dry. She was parched.

Two nurses in blue scrubs came into view.

"Hello there Hope. How are you feeling?"

Hope frowned, turning her head to the side to the nurse who spoke.

Trying to speak, nothing came out. The muscles of her throat extremely sore.

"You may feel uncomfortable after the breathing tube has been removed. Just try to blink if you understand us, Hope."

The other nurse to her left spoke. She turned her head slightly.

She wanted to tell them her name was not Hope but she was unable to speak.

Monitors were still beeping. She was still attached to wires.

Her sluggish mind finally realized she was still in the hospital. She wanted to leave. She had to get up. She despised hospitals.

Thrashing, she tried to sit. With little strength and sore muscles, she clawed at the needles in her arms.

"Hope, calm down!"