Chapter 27-Double-cross

He didn't have time to react, diving to the ground instinctively. He did not just hear the gunshot ring through the air, the second he hit the floor, he felt the whistle of the bullet as it passed over his head.

The gun was still aimed at him and another bullet struck the floor only inches from his shoulder.

Zayn rolled, grunting with effort. He had to keep moving, developing an erratic path. He had nothing to shield his body with. If he got up and ran to the other end of the hallway, a bullet would find itself inside his body.

Reaching behind his back, he unhooked the gun from his trousers and flipped on his back, holding the gun in both hands and firing three shots in a row hoping it would distract whoever it was trying to shoot him and help earn him a few seconds to get up, run towards a corner and seek shelter.

There was stillness after the three shots vibrated through the walls, all action suspended.

In the silence, Zayn heard the ticking of an old grandfather clock. It was the only sound, steady and unrelenting.

He stopped and listened. The pounding of his heart blocked out the sound, forcing himself to calm down. Outside he could hear the chir of the crickets, the rustle of leaves against the window as a gentle breeze undulated the limbs.

He crept farther back into the shadows.

Was it Jack or Colin that had shot at him? It had to be one of the two. Or perhaps both.

"Come to rescue the damsel? It's too late, chap! She's dead! Her time came to an end. She was no longer useful!" Colin called out, smugness filling his tone.

Icy fingers crushed his heart to a dead stop. No. It couldn't be true.

Zayn had never felt such sheer panic and loss in his entire existence.

"No matter what you've done, you will never get away with it."

Zayn's voice was calmer than he felt. All he wanted to do was find him and kill him with his bare hands.

Without warning, Colin attacked, lunging faster than Zayn could blink. He landed hard on the ground, hitting his head against its tiled hard surface. His vision swam. Colin made a wild grab for Zayn's gun in his loose grip. However, Zayn knocked his hand away, regaining his senses.

Zayn snarled and grabbed Colin's hand, slamming it against the floor, and breaking his wrist. The gun skirted to the floor. He heard his wrist snap before he released a short piercing scream of pain before stifling it back in pride.

Colin's arm was bent at an unnatural angle. Zayn held him close, switching their positions. It was now Colin's back to the floor, thrashing, trying desperately to maneuver himself from beneath him.

Unexpectedly, Colin managed to shove his legs between their bodies and Zayn stumbled backward, falling hard on his bottom. Every muscle in his body tensed, the breath knocked out of him.

Suddenly, he couldn't breath as if the air was too heavy to drag into his lungs. He switched to his side and desperately gasped for air.

Colin stalked towards him, regaining his footing, closing in on him, and drawing a knife with his uninjured hand. He stabbed outwards, slicing Zayn's chest.

He grunted in pain.

"You will not leave here alive. . ." Colin threatened, his voice dark, his eyes were crazed.

Zayn struggled, but managed to jerk out of the way using his legs.

He coughed his entire body fighting, needing oxygen, then the pressure began dissipating, flooding out of him, allowing newborn air to enter his body.