Chapter 29-First & Last

"It has been quite an adventure." Murmured Zayn.

Hope lay in his arms pressed against him as they shared a bench at Hyde park.

She grinned as she tilted her head back to look at him. "Yes, it has."

"A new one awaits us." He said, kissing her nose.

Colin's wife, Lily, was taken to the hospital after her rescue receiving much needed care.  The doctors assured them she would make a full recovery.  They kept in contact with the woman and she was happy to be alive and thanked them for finding and helping her when they did.

With Colin and Jack still alive, standing trial for attempted murder, kidnapping and countless other charges. Colin refused to share any information regarding her identity. Jack was adamant about his claims of her being a prostitute. He knew nothing more about her past claiming he said all there was to say.

They gave up asking them and began their own investigation starting at the hospital in which she was first admitted when her body was found.

Shockingly, every shred of evidence from the hospital database was erased. It looked like she was never a patient.

It was all Jacks doing, she suspected. He had numerous connections. A good bribe along with a hefty amount of fear kept people loyal. No doctor or nurse would confess to any information. Even if they confessed, it would cost them their positions and reputations and no one was willing to sacrifice the truth for that.

However there was one shred of evidence that was not tampered with or destroyed and that was her transfer from the hospital.

There was proof she was transported from the hospital to a hospice to conclude the remainder of her recovery. Some of the staff remaining at the hospice remember her face during her time there but none attended to her directly as a patient.

Even traces of Jane's employment at the hospice were erased. She was her nurse, she was a true person but her identity was wiped clear in all databases, according to the information that was collected. According to the small number of employees they spoke to, those that especially remember her, verified Jane was present during Hope's stay at the hospice but they knew nothing personal about her.

It was a dead end.

Hope finally came to the conclusion her past would remain unknown. As difficult as it was, she wasn't entirely ready to hear it confirmed.

Where she was told she would never recover her memories, she was almost positive the nightmares were windows of the truth. She could never conjure up such vivid events if they were not from her past. Her subconscious was generating them and they were surfacing.

The last and worst of the nightmares was during her time in the manor. The last moments before she was left to die.

Hope stared silently at the lake as she ran her fingers over Zayn's board chest.

Whoever she was, she was glad for one thing and one thing only. It brought her to Zayn. Had she not been found, changed, created, groomed, she would have never met him under normal circumstances.

He was the light at the end of a dark tunnel.

She was a firm believer in everything happening for a reason. They were destined to meet under these usual circumstances. It was an ugly past but there was a present and future they could write. They could create their very own ending.

She was looking forward to it, praying she'd get it right this time. It was impossible to change the past, and dwelling was not part of her plan for the rest of her life. She willed herself to release all the anchors that kept her under water. There was nothing to do now except to accept what was and move on without looking back.