Chapter 44

The fire was flaming through the three days, lavishing whole neighbourhood with screams of agony. Ji Woon was alive, fainting from time to time and then again waking up in the middle of the stack, with new skin to burn. After the three days heavy rain came and the fire firstly smouldered, then totally doused, leaving tormented young man completely untouched, but with empty gaze.

The rumour has wandered around the town about the demons bedevilling Shim household, making many people to leave the town in rush. Corpses of general and Choi family disappeared, likely taken and buried down by servants.

Woong Tae closed himself in the house and didn't want to see anyone, beside the captain. Everyone was scared of him, probably much more than of his father. Young master Shim was rapt in his thoughts. He couldn't sleep neither eat through all of this days, yet he didn't feel tired or hungry.

Captain entered the general's study, the place where Woong Tae was staying now. He was laying on the ground, with all of his limbs spread, his clothed tatty. Captain grunted. 'My lord, the stack has been extinguished by the rain.'

Woong Tae lifted and sat. His eyes were shining like one's of a kid, when someone is bringing a new toy. 'Are only ashes left? He's dead? I didn't hear him last night. He must be gone!'

Captain hesitated. 'My lord... He fainted... However he is still breathing. There is no burn on his skin...'

Woong Tae stood up at grabbed the closest thing that was at his reach and threw it in anger. 'Fuck! How to kill him?! How?!' He screamed.

Captain remained silent. Master Shim run to him and grabbed him by his clothes. 'Tell me or the next stack will be yours.'

The man was an opportunist. He would try to gain as much as possible, but back out when the situation will no longer be safe. He didn't feel the moment of the change this time. He was stuck with the madman. He better try to tame him a little bit and then run away.

'Lord Shim, please. I might be the last person to be by your side. Most of the guards left the household.' Woong Tae stopped holding him. 'Some people say that we should look for help in shamans... That this is divine business...'

Those words made young master lose it completely. 'There. Will. Be. No. Deities. Nor. Any. Kind. Of. Gods. Got it? Got it?!' He grabbed the flagon that stood near him and crashed it on captains head, making him bleed. Yet the man stood sprightly, not losing the face.

'Forgive me, master. There won't be any shaman. In that case only one solution has left in my brain.'

'If it won't work you're dead!'

'Sir, we have to starve him...'

Woong Tae tried to calm his breath. 'Confine him and tell the servants not to feed him.'

'Yes, sir.'

Captain walked out, carried out a command and got on his horse. Then he run away, not looking back at the possessed court.

***

Year 1658, summer

Woong Tae was looking at the moon at night, again not being able to sleep. He slept many days in row, thankfully, because not a month ago he couldn't sleep at all. But this night was restless. He couldn't remember what woke him up, maybe some kind of dream. He also forgot why the town was so quiet. Something must've happened, but the memory of it was lost.

He relaxed to the sound of cicadas, restless even so deep in the night. He caressed the sword he from time to time polished. What was it? Why it was with him all the time? He had so many questions, but nothing appeared in his mind. Even if he tried to focus, only a headache would come.