The Truth

"I thought I told you no more karate."

"You're home?"

"Your school called your dad. He got the voicemail and told me what happened. What the hell were you thinking?"

"Mom-"

"I specifically told you no more karate. You could of gotten hurt."

"Is that really why you don't want me doing karate? Because you think I'll get hurt? Why do you care about what I'm doing all of a sudden? All you care about is your stupid boyfriend, and your alcohol, and yourself!" She came up to me and slapped me.

"You do not raise your voice at me."

Someone had knocked on the door. She looked at me and opened it.

"Hey kid-"

"Sensei, what're you doing here?"

"This is your sensei?" My mom was shocked.

"You're her mother?" Sensei also looked shocked.

"Yes, I am. Now, why are you here?"

"I- um, Ava she just forgot her phone." He handed me the phone.

"Oh, thanks."

"Ava, go to your room. I want to have a word with your sensei."

I decided not to question it and went to my room. I closed the door and put my ear against it, listening to the conversation. It was quiet at first until my mom raised her voice.

"You stay away from my daughter!"

"She's my daughter too." He whisper yelled.

"You left when I was pregnant." My mom lowered her voice.

"What happened between us, was a mistake. I was still with Shannon at the time."

"You still left. You could of been there for my daughter."

"Our."

"You know what, just leave. I don't want you ever coming near my daughter."

"Jessica please-" He was cut off by the door slamming.

I ran out of my room.

"What the hell is he talking about?"

"Were you eavesdropping? I thought I taught you better."

"You haven't taught me anything because you're never here and never were. You only came around for money or if you needed some dumb favor-"

"Do not talk to me like that! Whatever was said between your Sensei and I is between us. And you're not going back to that stupid karate place. If you do, your punishment will be way worse."

She bumped my shoulder as she walked passed me and slammed the door to her room.

I didn't care what she said. I ran out the apartment, and started banging on Sensei's door until he answered.

"Kid-"

"Don't 'kid' me right now. You need to explain everything. I don't care what any of you say. I want to know the truth. Now." I demanded.

"Come in." He let me in and brought me to his dinner table. "Whatever I tell you, I need you to promise you won't hate me."

"Is it that bad? Just tell me."

"Promise me." He looked guilty.

"Promise." I wasn't sure if I actually believed myself, but I needed to know.

"Back in high school, your mom and I used to be good friends. I was in a relationship with my now ex-wife and we had gotten into an argument. I left and went to your mom. She told me I could stay over for as long as I want and the same night something happened."

"Between you two?"

"Yeah, we... we uh-"

"Slept together?" He looked at me for a second and looked back down.

"We did. And we both realized it was a mistake. I went back to my place a- and a couple weeks later your mom came by. She was pregnant.

"At the time I wasn't ready to be a father. She had asked me to stay, but I couldn't. She hated me after that, told me to stay away."

"So, I'm your daughter? But what about my dad?"

"Your dad was your mom's best friend. He offered to take my place as your father. Since I wasn't there."

"So, you're my real father?"

"Biological, yes."

I couldn't believe it. I couldn't handle it. I ran out, tears falling down, I knocked on Miguel's door and luckily he answered.

His smile fell when he saw my tears. He didn't ask any questions, he just pulled me into a hug.