Everyone Makes Mistakes

"Enjoy." I mumble as I set the last plate on the table. The family of three thank me, and I head to the back room.

Ava
can't make it tonight
tell tory i'll be home late

A few seconds pass.

Robby
got it
text me when u get home

Something I won't ever get used to— how protective Robby is over my safety.

The bell by the front dings, and I set my phone back in my pocket and head out.

"Table for how many?" I ask as I tighten the string of my apron without looking up.

"Just one." Before I can grab a menu, I freeze.

Miguel's hand takes mine off the menu, and holds onto it. When I look at him, I slowly take my hand out from his.

"How'd you know I work here?"

"Your dad told me. I was kind of hoping we'd talk. That is if you don't kick me out."

"What even is there to talk about?"

"About how you completely disappeared."

I scoff and grab Miguel's menu and lead him towards a table. I know he's not actually here to eat, but there's no way my boss would approve of us having a regular conversation by the front register.

"You haven't responded to any of my texts, calls, nor have you to Demetri and Hawk. I haven't seen you at school, Sensei Lawrence says you haven't been home since the fight at the LaRusso's."

I slam a pair of chopsticks onto the table and stop Miguel from his blabbering. "Miguel— seriously, why are we having this conversation right now? I'm working and if my boss sees us, he's gonna kick both of us out."

"Then let him, it'll give you time to actually look at me and explain where you've been."

"Listen, Miguel, you can sit down, order a burger or you can leave and we can talk later."

"When's later because for you, later is never. Ava, I'm just worried about you."

"Oh my god— I'm fine, Miguel. I haven't been at school because I don't have the time anymore. I work hours straight, half my day, I'm at the dojo, and because I'm not home, I'm staying with Tory."

"You've been staying with Tory since the fight at the LaRusso's? Why didn't you tell me? Or Sensei?"

"Because the both of you were too focused on someone else to even realize what the fuck's been going on with me. How's Sam, by the way?"

He makes a sarcastic laugh, and shakes his head.

"Fine. You want me to be completely honest?"

"The whole reason why I'm still standing here."

I nod, and give my full attention to him. "I haven't been to school because I know it's gonna be hell seeing all the people I betrayed. I have been staying at Tory's, but I'm leaving to move in with my mom.

"I've been in contact with her for a little more than a week, and I'm only moving in with her so that I can take care of her. I've been working extra hours so I can pay for bills, hospital appointments, and food. Something she can't really afford right now.

"When I saw my dad, I couldn't breathe. I got the same feeling when you touched my hand. How do you think I'll react when I see Hawk, or Demetri? They're my best friends and what I did to them, is something I can't forgive myself for."

"Ava, everyone makes mistakes—"

"It wasn't a mistake, Miguel. I chose to side with Cobra Kai. Okay— I don't trust myself enough to know that I won't make another mistake."

"Cobra Kai has only gotten into your head. You could never be them— I know you."

His hands were on my arms, and I looked into his eyes. "Do you?"

He wanted to speak, but he didn't know what to say.

"Just go, Miguel. It was nice seeing you." I leave from my spot, and head back to the back room.

One of my employees, Cameron, was putting his apron on. I assume it was time for him to clock in but I didn't even notice the fact he walked in.

"Hey, I'm gonna head out."

"Don't you have another hour?"

"I'll make it up tomorrow. Emergency." I untie my apron, and grab my bag.

"Does this emergency have anything to do with that boy you were arguing with?"

I shake my head, "If you say a word about that to Mr. Jenkins, I will tell him about the change you've been taking from the jar."

He rolled his eyes, and brushed through his hair with his hand. "I'll see you tomorrow, Lawrence."

We hit knuckles, and I take my phone out.

Jessica
Can you pick up my meds from the hospital?

Ava
sure, i'm leaving work early anyway

When I walk out, Miguel was seated at his table. But his head was in his hands, looking stressed.

I look away, and walk out the restaurant.