Dreaded Conversations

I stirred my cereal around with my spoon, stuck on the thought of how the tournament is next week.

A part of me was excited, but the other part of me knew I was certainly not prepared. But I also felt as if I were ready, so what was I not prepared for?

"What's on your mind?" Mom sat down with her cup of coffee, taking a sip.

"The tournament's coming up."

"You don't sound so excited? Shouldn't the tournament be a good thing?"

"Something just feels off. Like what if the day of the tournament, I'm ready to get on the mat and fight, but something in me just stops and I freeze. I mean, after all this training I'm going through with Sensei Kreese and Sensei Silver, I would think I'm more prepared than anything."

She sighed, putting her cup down. "Have you talked to your dad yet?"

I dropped my spoon, suddenly becoming aware of the fact that I haven't talked to my dad since his visit at work.

"Based off your reaction, I think having to face off your dad at the tournament is what you're not prepared for. He doesn't even know you're living with me, does he?"

I shook my head, "No, only Miguel."

"And how's it going with Miguel?"

"I don't know where we stand. I mean, one moment, we'll be talking and I feel the spark between us again. But then I also remember how our relationship ended and I'm not sure if I'm able to completely trust him again. And he's also dating Sam, so, there goes that."

"Wait— Sam? As in Sam LaRusso, you're little buddy from third grade?"

"Yes, that Sam."

"Huh— what a bitch. But, hey, what about that other boy who dropped you home on prom night... Eli, was it?"

"Yeah, I don't know what's going on with us. I'm not even sure how I should feel about him. He literally told me he's been in love with me since third grade— how should someone even react to that?"

"Well, what'd you say to him when he first told you?"

"I didn't say anything. I just hugged him. But, if Miguel found out—"

"Miguel cheated on you— twice, with a girl who used to be your best friend and the girl who you're now best friends with. If anything, I say forget that boy, and go with Eli. Besides, he's really cute, I'd go for him."

I give her a disgusted look. "You realize what you just said right?"

She sipped her coffee, nodding.

"Mom, he's 17. You're like 40."

She got up from the table, "I like my men young." She moved her hips as she walked, causing me to feel very awkward.

"You're so gross."

Before she closed her door to her room, she looked back at me. "Oh and I think you should talk to your dad. Ease out any awkwardness before the tournament. And if I cry for help, call 911."

I shake my head because she knows how much I hate hearing her say that but she jokes off and closes her door.

But then again, she's right. The only thing I have to prepare myself for before seeing my dad, is preparing myself to see my dad.

This should be fun.

When I pull into the parking lot, already, I see my dad in front of his apartment, punching the air.