My First

My locker was slammed shut with the palm of a hand. Demetri's hand.

"Demetri—" 

"How could you do something like that? Something horrible to a friend. Your best friend, if that matters."

I knew he was talking about Hawk. And I knew arguing against him wasn't the wise nor was it a good decision.

"I don't understand how someone who was such a nerd, an innocent person— you, could do something so villainy to the person you love. Hawk was your best friend, and to do something like that— that makes you an awful person."

I opened my mouth to speak, but he spoke over me.

"He quit karate. You and your little Cobra Kai posse traumatized him out of karate."

"Wait— so he left Eagle Fang?"

"Yeah, that's exactly what I just said— look, if you're gonna cause anymore trouble with us Miyagi students, I suggest you don't. If you couldn't tell, our lives have gotten way worse after you joined Cobra Kai. Who's at fault now?"

I looked away from Demetri because I knew he was right. And hell— when did he become such a badass?

He walked away and I stayed by my locker. After what he said about Hawk, I realized I hadn't seen him at all while being at school. Either that or he was hiding.

Kyler stepped in front of me, same smirk on his face while holding his backpack straps.

"You goin to the dance tonight?"

"You mean prom? Hell no."

I start to walk away to my next class thinking it's the end of our conversation, but he follows me.

"Why not? It's our junior year— we don't have that long to attend dances, aren't you gonna make the most of it?"

"Kyler, I'm not the party animal type, alright? Besides, I don't have a date."

"You don't need a date, Lawrence. Me and a few other Cobra Kais are all going without dates, come with us. C'mon it'll be fun."

I stop in the middle of the hallway and sigh.

"I cannot believe I'm letting you convince me to go to prom. Fine— I'll go."

"Alright— let's go, Lawrence! Remember, be at the dojo before six. See you tonight... or next period." He patted my shoulder and left the hallway.

As I step into class, I realize how unprepared I am for prom.

After roughly stressing over not having a dress to prom, Tory surprised me with one. Apparently, she had gone shopping for her own dress which caught me by surprise. Tory shops?

But now I'm stepping into the school auditorium where the dance was held. Music was playing, colored lights everywhere, and a whole lot of people.

Everyone had already went on their own, but as I started walking to look for a quiet place to stand, Kyler pulled me in for a picture with many other people.

When the picture was taken, I looked around the room when I saw Sam and Miguel dancing together. They stopped and headed towards the table with the punch bowl.

I knew it was weird just standing here staring at Miguel, but I had hoped he felt eyes on him and looked back at me.

And he actually did. While Sam poured punch in his cup, he looked at me with soft eyes and smiled.