Tournament

"Whatever. I mean, we're here. We're gonna have to do it without him."

"Do what without him?" We heard a voice behind Aisha and Hawk.

"Sensei."

"We didn't think you were gonna show up."

"I may not always win, but I never back out of a fight."

"Great. Let's sign in."

"Not yet. There's one more lesson I have to teach you."

Dad had us group together in a circle as he taught his last lesson. "You've all learned how to strike first, to be aggressive, not be losers. I taught you to strike hard, put every ounce of your power behind everything you do. But I haven't taught you the third rule of Cobra Kai. No Mercy.

"The older you get, the more you're gonna learn that life isn't fair. You wake up one morning feeling great, and then life throws a spinning heel kick to your balls, takes a big steaming shit in your mouth. You get an 'F' on a test, you get suspended. You fall in love with a girl, and some other dude comes and steals her away. Car gets set on fire. Just when you think things are going good, everything falls apart.

"That's how it goes. Life shows no mercy, so neither do we. We do whatever it takes to keep our heads above water. We do whatever it takes to keep moving forward. We do whatever it takes to win! Remember who you are. You're badass! You don't give a shit! You kick ass! You're Cobra Kai."

"Cobra Kai!" Miguel chants.

"Let's get down there and kick the shit out of everybody!"

Miguel's the first to take his white gi out of his bag, but he's stopped.

"You're not wearing those."

Dad hands everyone a black and yellow gi, with the Cobra Kai logo on the back. He also gave me one so I can fit in with everyone even though I'm not participating.

"Welcome Everyone, to the 50th annual All Valley Under 18 Karate Championship! You'll love the new mats. Alright, let's start by welcoming all the local dojos competing today.

"From Granada Hills, All-Star Karate. Fighting out of Topanga, we have Topanga Karate. From Reseda, returning to the tournament, we have-"

The announcer was interrupted when our dojo marched out, onto the mats, chanting
'Cobra Kai'.

I walked by my dad's side as we lined up next to the last person in the line.

"Now that's what I call an entrance! And a badass name for a dojo! Let's hear it for Cobra Kai! And finally, fighting unaffiliated from North Hills, we have Mr. Robby Keene."

When Robby Keene walked out, I was surprised to see it was the boy from last night at the canyon. He glared at Miguel when he passed, and gave an odd look to my dad.

"Alright, folks. Get ready. It's karate time."

-

Miguel balanced on one leg, bringing his arms in the air. His opponent came charging towards Miguel, and he jumped and kicked him right in the face.

The crane kick.

"One point Diaz!"

Aisha had fought a guy, and Bert was beat by another. We were brought to the quarterfinals.

Miguel was fighting, as he slid under the other guy, kicking right in his stomach and face, earning three points.

"Winner!"