Coyote Creek

For our training today, we were taken to a place called Coyote Creek. We were split into teams; red and black. I was sorted into red team along with Hawk and Aisha.

"Gentlemen, ladies, welcome to Coyote Creek. You've been split into two teams. Red and black. The goal is to capture as many headbands as possible from the other side. Today, the people across from you are not your friends."

Across from me on black team, Tory.

"They are not your brothers, sisters. They are the enemy. Last team standing... wins."

"How do we get the headbands?"

"By any means possible. No rules."

"Use your judgement. This is just a training exercise."

"Correct, but remember, this is your life." Kreese held up a red headband. "You lose it... you die."

"Hey, guys! Sorry I'm late. Traffic on the 118 was a real bitch. Put Coyote Creek into the nav. Nothing came up."

"What have you done to yourself?" Dad questioned Chubs' new look.

"Oh the- yeah, you know what, I just decided to flip the script, Hawk style. Respect." He took off his glasses, and pointed to Hawk. "Heretofore, you can refer to me... stingray."

"Yeah, alright, Chubs. He's on your team."

"Terrific."

-

I had gotten a lot more headbands than I thought I would get. The area I was in was quiet; I assumed I was alone. Until Tory came up from behind a tree.

"Surprised you're still here." She smirked, circling me.

"Could say the same for you." Her smirk faded and she stood still.

"So, what's up with you and Miguel?"

"What about Miguel-" Tory charged at me, kicking me in the chest.

When she lifted her leg up again, I blocked her kick and kneed her stomach.

"What do you need to know about Miguel and I?" I used the roundhouse kick, knocking her into a pile of leaves.

"I just don't get how he could love someone like you."

She jumped onto her legs, and slowly walked towards me.

"What does Miguel have to do with snatching headbands right now?"

"Give me Miguel, and you get my headband."

I laughed.

"You seriously think I'd trade my boyfriend for some stupid headband? What are you trying to do, Tory?"

She threw a punch, but I caught it and flipped her over. As I reached for her headband, she pulled me down, using the same move she used on Miguel.

"You're too easy, Williams."

She finished me off with a punch and took the red headband. The blood slowly dripped from my
nose onto my shirt.

When I made it back to the main spot, Miguel and Hawk were the only ones missing.

"Hey, what happened to you?" Dad wiped the blood from my nose.

"What do you think?"

After awhile, Miguel came back with the last red headband in his hand; Hawk shortly trailing behind.

"Team black!" He shouted.

Suddenly, Chubs comes out of nowhere and wraps his arm around Miguel's neck.

"You know the thing about stingrays is, they lie and wait for the perfect opportunity... to strike."

He ripped the black headband off of Miguel and held it in the air. "The red team just won!"

Miguel smiled at me. "Congratulations."

I tried to smile. "Thanks."

He held my arm before I could walk away. "Are you okay?"

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"It just seems like something's wrong."

"I'm okay. Good job, Miguel." I gave a hesitant kiss on his cheek, and walked off to find the rest of my team.

-

I was walking... somewhere- I have no idea where I'm at right now. I needed some air to clear my head. Clear my head from Tory. And her mention of Miguel.

But I still had the verge to send him a text or call him. I needed his words of reassurance.

When I crossed the sidewalk, up ahead was a park. It was empty, obviously it's super late.

When I stepped closer, I noticed there were actual people sitting down.

Those people sitting down happened to be Tory and Miguel.

They were talking, laughing.

Tory had said something that made Miguel look focused on, and he was staring at her. Just staring.

That moment of focus ended when he kissed her.

Miguel kissed Tory.

Honestly, if it were the other way around, I'm not sure I'd be as mad as I am now. Everything she said to me at Coyote Creek would've made sense if she made the first move.

But Miguel- I'm still standing here, watching my boyfriend and who I thought was my friend, kiss.

So I left. And I sat there by the planter box waiting for Miguel. Waiting to confront him, break his heart the way he broke mine.

"Ava..."

I looked up and to the side where the man himself was standing.

"Hey, what's wrong?" He sat next to me, with his hand on my cheek.

"I saw you and Tory. At the park. When you kissed her."

His hand dropped from my cheek, and he looked away. Though I kept my eyes on him.

"Miguel... how could you do that to me? To us- this relationship!"

"I wasn't thinking straight! Okay- Tory, she said things which messed with my head, and I know what I did was wrong- I'm sorry."

"Only two weeks ago, you promised you wouldn't hurt me. You told me you've been waiting for us since the day we met. And now you pull this?"

"Ava, you have to understand, my intention wasn't to kiss Tory. She had shown me this plane or whatever it was in the sky, and- and we got caught up in the moment. I meant my word when I promised I would never hurt you."

"Yeah, well, you broke that promise."