The Burger Grill

No, no, no, no! Fuck— how could there possibly be over a hundred Jessica Williams?

Jessica Williams - Happily married for five
years—

No.

Jessica Williams - Jesus first—

No.

Jessica Williams - Against any intoxication—

Most certainly not.

Is it possible she could've changed her name? It's been months since I've last seen my mom. She definitely doesn't live in Reseda anymore— I've checked.

God— this is a mistake.

"You guys are pathetic." I turned my phone off and watched as Tory stormed up to Kyler. "If you'd handled your business, we would have won that fight."

"Okay, whatever. Hawk, he switched sides."

"Yeah, Miguel just got out of a wheelchair and he still kicked your ass."

"You know what? At least I'm still here. Half the squad— quit!"

The doors to the dojo opened, and Robby walked in. He walked passed the rest of us, into the back room.

"That fool doesn't even practice, but he gets to stay? I don't get it, man."

I left the group and changed into my regular clothes. My shift started in an hour and I still
needed to stop by the apartment.

"Hey, I'm gonna head out. I'll see you tonight?"

Tory and I did a side fist bump and I said my byes to everyone else. When I made it to the burger grill, I went around back to change into uniform and started my shift.

The restaurant was a bit small, but it was nice. The customers were respectful and patient, employees were fun to work with.

There's even a special spot where some of the Cobra Kais would hang out after class, but I'm not allowed to socialize for too long or else they'll get kicked out.

There was a man who was sitting alone at a table, but their menu was covering his face.

"Hey, I'm Ava. Can I get you anything or are we waiting on anyone else?"

"Yeah— what's this burger mania about?"

He pulled the menu down, but he was still looking for his order.

"Dad?"

He looked up, and finally dropped his menu from his hands.

"What're you doing here?"

"What're you doing here? You wanna tell me why I had to figure out where my daughter was working after putting up missing flyers of you around town?"

"You put up missing flyers?"

"Well, yeah, isn't that what you do when your kid runs away? But anyway, that's not the point. I found you now, so I can take you home. Let's go."

He stood from his seat, and held my arm. I pulled it back, and stepped away.

"I'm not going with you."

"What do you mean you're not going with me? I'm your dad and you should listen to me."

"Why should I? You never listened to me."

He scoffed. "Is that what this is all about? Look, I'm sorry, I'm trying to be the best father I can be, but that can't work if you won't come home with me."

"No! I'm fine where I'm at. I don't need you."

"Ava, is everything okay?" My boss came up to the table with two guests behind him.

"Yeah, everything's fine. You can take this table. He was just leaving."

I left the table, hoping he wouldn't follow me. The last thing I wanted was to run into my dad. Especially, because I left without an explanation.

The last thing now, is hoping I don't see anyone else I know.

Like Miguel.