Chapter 11

Miguel had mentioned he's taking Sam on a date, but he said it's sort of not a date. I don't know, but the thought of them dating kind of hurt...

"I need somewhere romantic, but not too romantic."

"You could take her to get tattoos."

"What?"

Hawk stands up and starts untying his top part of his gi.

"I know a guy. Just hooked me up with this bad boy." He throws off his top, revealing a huge hawk tattooed on his back.

"Oh!"

"Oh, shit."

"That is badass."

"Right? Fourteen hours in the chair." He turns around and flexes, looking at his figure in the mirror.

"Wait, are your parents okay with that?" I ask.

"Oh, they have no idea. Definitely gonna have to wear a T-shirt until college. Probably longer. Please don't tell them." He sits back down.

"Uh, any other suggestions?" Miguel looks at me and Aisha.

"Don't look at us. We used to be friends with Sam. We are not anymore." Aisha said making sure the 'not' was obvious.

"Okay, but I need your help. Ava, please." He looks at me.

I sigh, "She likes chocolate and astronomy."

"I could work with that."

"Banned! What're you talking about!" Miguel and I got up to see what was happening with Sensei in the office. "No, you don't ban me. I'll ban you!"

"Dad, what's going on?" I whisper.

"There's a lifetime ban on Cobra Kai from entering the tournament."

"What? How is that fair?"

"It's not. There's nothing I can do about it."

"What happened to 'never accept defeat?'"

"That was girl advice. This is different. This is the real world. There are rules."

"Since when do you care about the rules?"

"'We don't take no for an answer' you said that! You gotta fight this."

"You know what? You're both right. I'm gonna go down there..."

"Yeah..."

"...and beat their asses."

"Yeah- no, no, no! No, that's not what we meant." I blurted.

"I'm saying, maybe there's a more delicate approach, Sensei?"

"The way of the fist is not delicate. Cobras are not delicate."

"Yes, yes sorry. I- forget delicate. I'm just saying, maybe there's a smarter way to fight back."

-

"Hey, I was thinking, now that you're under my hands now, why don't we make it legally?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, if you would be okay with me taking full custody of you."

"I mean, yeah, I'd be more than okay with that. But wouldn't this need to be taken into court or something?"

"Yeah, so overtime we could go over everything and just take baby steps."

"Okay, cool! You should get going to your meeting now."

"Right. I'll see you later." He kisses my forehead and leaves the apartment. Since there wasn't anything to do and Miguel was out with Sam, I decided to go back to the dojo just for a little practice.

I practiced for a few hours trying to distract myself when someone walked in.

"Hey, Dad. How'd the meeting go?"

"We're in." My eyes widened and I ran towards him, throwing my arms around his neck. He chuckled and patted my head.

"You didn't punch anyone, right?"

"Nope. I held it in. Just like what you said to do. Oh! I got something." He pulled out a poster that had 'All Valley Karate Champions' written on it.

I helped him tape it up and we high-fived each other. The door rang open and an excited Miguel ran in.

"Ooh! Who's the man!"

"I'm the man." My dad pointed at himself. Miguel gave us a weird smile and we both caught on. "Oh, shit. Are you the man too? Tell me you're the man."

"I'm the man! I crushed the date!"

"I crushed the committee meeting."

"So, Cobra Kai's in?"

"Hell yeah we're in." The three of us do a group hug and pull away.

"Alright, I'm gonna grab a soda. You want one too? And do you want a banquet?"

"No, no. This calls for a real toast." My dad went back in his office while Miguel and I gave each other a questioning look. He came back with another bottle with some type of alcohol and plastic cups.

"The good stuff. For real men. And women." He pours the drink into each cup and we smell it, making a disgusted face. "Drink it. It'll put hair on your balls." He said to Miguel.

"Is that a good thing?"

"Yeah, it's a good thing."

"To Cobra Kai!"

"Never accept defeat." The three of us clink our cups and chug down the drink. Miguel and I, again, make a disgusted face as the drink burns down our throat.