Jan.29/Feb.4

"I did a deep dive online and you were right. Sensei is definitely Keene's father."

After telling Hawk Miguel's crazy idea, thinking Robby is my dad's son, he had done some research.

"I just don't understand why he wouldn't tell us."

"I don't know. But it explains why he's giving us shit for kicking Keene's ass at the tournament. Show no mercy, unless it's his son. And you had absolutely no idea about this?" Hawk turned to me.

"No idea."

Aisha informed all of us about Mr. LaRusso opening up his own dojo, and completely dissing Cobra Kai.

My dad had his own special idea of coming back at Mr. LaRusso and Miyagi-Do. So, he made his own commercial.

"There's a lot of talk going around the Valley about free karate. But, everyone knows that in life, you get what you pay for. You wanna really kick the competition?

"Then you need to get your ass over to Cobra Kai. Screw that lame meditation bullshit. What you need is bone-crunching, face-smashing, good old American karate. Enough about self-defense. Learn self-offense. Don't be a pussy. Join Cobra Kai and let me teach you... the way of the fist."

"And, cut."

"Alright, we get it?"

"I think so."

"Alright, great. Make sure the Cobra Kai snake comes in at the end, alright? I want it to really pop. Make it chrome. And throw Thunderstruck under it."

"I'm pretty sure the rights for that song will cost too much."

"No, I already own it. Cassette's in the car. Oh, and put one of those hash browns at the end. You know like, Hash brown Team Cobra Kai or something. And then send it to the internet!"

He shouted, and left to the back room.

"Hash brown?"

"I think he meant Hashtag." Hawk nods, obviously still confused.

When everyone started to get ready and leave, I took the chance to speak to my dad.

"Can we talk about something?"

"Look, if it's about the infomercial, I know."

"It's not about the commercial... It's about Robby Keene."

He paused, and sighed. He didn't look at me; everywhere, but me.

"Dad, I know he's your son."

The look on his face was almost as if he didn't want me to know. Like it was meant to stay a secret forever.

"If I never found that picture, were you ever gonna tell me?"

His hand wiped his face, and he opened his mouth to talk, but stayed silent.

"Forget it."

When I left the room, Kreese was stood at the end of the hall. He always had that smug look on his face that I wanna just smack off.

-

Dad took Miguel and I to a diner out of the blue, which happened to be across from some hospital.

We ordered the same burger and sat at an open table in the middle of the diner.

"Good, huh?"

"Yup." Miguel and I agreed.

"The secret's the chopped onions. Sal keeps it simple. None of that veggie crap. Just a hot grill and some quality chuck." He took a sip of his drink and we only stared at him, waiting for his explanation as to why he took us here.

"You see that building over there?"

"The hospital?"

"That's where Robby was born. February 4th, 2002. It was a Monday. His mom was in labor for seventeen hours."

"It must've been crazy." Miguel comments.

"Yeah, I'm sure it was. I wasn't there. My mom had just died... I was a real mess. I never knew my father, so she was all I had. Next thing I know, I'm gonna be a dad- again.

"Scared the shit out of me. So, instead of being up there, welcoming him into the world... I was down here, soaking up the booze from a three-day bender, trying to get the courage to walk across the street. And I never got there."

He looked at me. "And you, I was there."

"You told me-"

"I lied. I was there the day you were born. January 29th, 2002. Your aunt was the one who called me. Said Jessica was having her baby. She begged me to come to the hospital. I had thought, maybe, I should be there for my kid. But when I got there, Jason and her parents told me to leave. Jessica even said she never wanted to see me again.

"But I didn't leave. I stayed in the waiting room, waiting to meet my daughter. Your aunt came out, showed me a picture of you, and you were all snuggled up in the little blankets the hospitals wrap you guys in. You were the cutest little baby I've ever seen.

"I had asked if you had a name yet. At the moment, no, but I was offered to give you a name. While your mom was pregnant, I hated myself for not being there. Since I was pushed away, the least I could've done was name my daughter.

"Ali, you remember her?"

I set my napkin on the table, and nodded. "You've mentioned her a few times, yeah."

"Well, when we dated in high school, we planned a future together... We came up with names for our kids, thought about our careers... we had it all planned out. For some crazy reason, she was so in love with the name you have now.

"We promised to name one of our kids Ava, and that was even after we broke up. That name was special to the both of us. Me, because of Ali. So, I immediately suggested it. Your aunt promised she wouldn't tell your mom it was my idea so she would accept it.

"Since the day you were born, even if I wasn't there for you your whole life, I'm glad I picked a beautiful name for my beautiful daughter. That's one thing that I will never forget.

"But what I do wanna forget... is remembering that I failed Robby. And I feel like I failed you, too. On both of your very first days in this world... and I've been failing the two of you ever since."

I shook my head, disagreeing.

"I should've told you two a long time ago. It's one of the most painful things in my life. But one of the best things, has been teaching you two. And I want you to know, no matter what happens, I promise... I'll always be on your side, and I'll always have your best interests at heart."

Miguels phone then rings.

"It's from Aisha. She heard that Miyagi-Do is doing some sort of demo at Valley Fest."

My dad sat back in his chair. "Oh, they are, huh?"