The Concert

"Let's go, Speed Racer. I'm gonna work those gimpy legs like a... rented mule." Dad and I walked into Miguel's apartment, but there was a man in the room. "Sorry. I thought you said 10:00 that you'd be alone."

"I'm sorry, my mom gets free physical therapy from work. And this was the only time Brayden was available." Miguel explained.

"Mahalo."

"Be done soon if you wanna wait."

Ms. Diaz seemed to not agree with Miguel based on the look she gave Dad.

"Now, if you're feeling any pain, hermano, let me know."

"Still no feeling whatsoever."

"No worries. Positive thoughts, remember? You're doing great."

"At letting you lift his legs?" Miguel chuckles as I elbow my dad's side.

"Johnny, Brayden is a specialist in this field. He knows what he's doing." Carmen stated.

"Slow, deep breaths. Inhale joy and love."

"You gotta be shitting me?"

"Johnny, can I talk to you for a minute?" I turned my attention to Miguel as Ms. Diaz and Dad walked into the kitchen.

"Hey." Miguel smiled.

"Hey." I smile back.

"Ooo, this your girlfriend?" Brayden asks.

"Yeah." Miguel winks at me.

"Kid, come with me." Dad came back out, grabbing my arm, pulling me out of the apartment.

"Where are we going?"

"Just follow me."

We ended up going on the second floor of the apartment complex and Dad had a fishing pole and a magazine. I asked why he had those but he told me to "trust the process."

We saw Miguel on his wheelchair, rolling back to his apartment, but Dad sent down the magazine with the fishing pole, catching Miguel's attention.

"What's this?"

"This is a collection of the tastiest babes of 1988. And you're not gonna get to see em unless you grab it."

"Okay." Miguel lifted his arm, but the magazine was pulled away from him.

"Gonna have to try harder than that."

"You know I can find these pictures on my phone? Or even look at Ava and that's enough."

"Miguel!" He chuckles and winks.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. It's not the same. Chicks are hotter on the page. And stop looking at my daughter like that. Anyways, you won't know unless you get off your butt. Or you can just keep getting foot rubs from that pansy-ass therapist."

Miguel tried again, but failed. "Weak! That all you got, Diaz? I thought you were the All Valley champ?"

Miguel got up from the wheelchair, reaching the magazine, "Come on, kid. Come on." Dad muttered.

Miguel was almost there, but fell out of the chair. "Shit." Dad threw down the fishing pole as we ran down the stairs.

"You alright?"

"Yeah."

We helped Miguel get back in the chair. "Alright, gimme a minute, we'll go again. I think I still have my Vanna White Playboy, that'll get you going."

"Don't you get it? You could dangle a new PlayStation, I still wouldn't be able to stand up."

-

"Get ready. We're going out."

"Going out where?"

"We're taking Miguel to a concert."

"Dad, you nearly set his leg on fire, and you think he'd wanna go to a concert with you?"

"Every teenager wants to go to a concert. Now, get ready."

We picked up Miguel from his apartment and Dad drove us to some building, but he took us to the back.

A bunch of men glanced at us, some winked at me which caused me to grab Dad's arm.

"And I thought this place looked scary from the outside. Where are we, Sensei?"

"It's a field trip. Here. Take this and follow my lead." He handed Miguel the bag he had.

We were about to walk through the door, but a man stopped us, "Hold on. Nice try. Come back when they're 21."

"Yeah, that's gonna be tough. He'll be dead by then. He should be dead already. Every day is a gift." Miguel caught on and started fake coughing.

"He's got a bucket list. Getting past that door with this girl is number one on it." Dad gestured to me.

"Alright, go ahead. Hey, good luck, kid." The man pats Miguel's shoulder as we made our way through the door.

Loud cheering and music erupted the room, "The Kids Are Back! We walk the streets! In tattered armies! We got the lion in our heart..." The singer sang.

"That's Dee Snider, the most badass rocker ever."

"How is this part of my physical therapy?"

"It's not." He pulled out three beers from the bag, "Just forget about all that and have some fun!"

The music continued and the three of us took a couple pictures.

"Can I get a copy of that?"

"Don't worry. I'll tag you."

"Tag me? What the hell does that mean?"

"Just check your Facebook."

"I don't have Facebook anymore, I threw my phone away."

"You know it's on your computer too, right?" I ask.

"Yeah." Dad said, but he didn't seem like he did.

The song soon ended, "Alright, alright. So, I hear there's a Make-A-Wish kid in the house tonight."

"Yeah, right here! Right here! Yeah! Here he is!" Dad pointed at Miguel as cheers were coming from the crowd.

"There he is. There he is. Ladies... let's make that kid's wish come true."

I saw a couple girls from the side of us smile and wave to Miguel. He smiled and waved back as I glared at them turning my head towards the stage.

My hand was grabbed and I was pulled down, facing Miguel. He kissed me, while rubbing his thumb across my cheek. I pulled away and smirked at the girls, who now had nasty faces.

"Alright. Now repeat after Dee... I wanna rock!" Dee shouted.

"Rock!" The crowd repeated.

The singing continued and I saw a glimpse of Miguel tapping his foot. I nudged my dad and gestured to his foot. He tapped Miguel and pointed down.

"Yes!" Miguel shouted. He grabbed both Dad and I bringing us into a group hug.