Chapter 2 - Program

August 8, 2013

*Scarlett's POV*

"Mom!!!" I yelled to my mom who was upstairs.

"Yeah sweetie?!" She yelled back.

"I need to ask you something!!"

"I'll be down in a minute!"

"Okay!"

She ran down the stairs a minute later, and sat down on the couch next to me.

"So what's going on sweetie?"

"I was thinking about being in the student exchange program! You know how I've been talking about it for the past year?" She nodded and I continued, "I found a website! Look," I showed her the website on the computer.

"Well, that seems cool, but where are you going to go?"

"I was thinking Australia. I could go there for a year. I'd take my last year of high school there, and I'd live with a host family. It would be fun!"

"Yeah, but you'd be away for a year.."

"Mom, we can Skype or FaceTime.."

"that's true. Since we've already talked this over before, go ahead. Sign up"

I signed up for the program, and it told me that i would have to wait a few hours until they chose a host family for me, chose a high school for me, and chose the date I would be leaving. It said that it would email me when it got the information.

------

Three hours later, I checked my email and I had gotten an email from them! The email said:

"Dear Scarlett,

We are so glad you have decided to enroll in the exchange student program!!! We have chosen your host family, your high school, and the date you'll be leaving for Australia.

We had many people from Australia that have asked for a 17/18 year old American girl. We picked the family that we thought would be just right for you, though. They are the Johnsons. There is Katherine (the Mum), Benjamin (the dad), Jonah (their twelve year old son), and Princess (their golden retriever). We really hope you like them, because we know they will like you. They also wanted us to send you this:

'Scarlett,

We are so excited to have you! We can't wait to meet you in person, even though we have seen pictures of you. We really hope that you will have fun with us! We will try our best to make your time living with us great. We have lots of your information and we already have your birthday present, which is about a week after you get here. We know that you'll like it.

Again, we hope that you have a good time staying with us. We hope you are as excited as we are!! We can't wait to meet you in person!

Love, your host family,

Kathy, Ben, Jonah, and Princess Johnson'

The high school you will go to is Richmond High School. It is in Richmond (of course), which is located near Sydney. We saw that you included you play basketball, and Richmond has a basketball team that we think you will love. There are so many nice girls on that team and an amazing coach.

The date you'll be coming is September 28, so you'll be leaving Long Beach on September 26. The Johnsons were not able to have you until then, but we think you'll be able to wait just a little bit. We hope you will. I know you're probably excited, but when you get here, you'll know it was worth the wait.

We all hope that you have fun with the Johnsons, Richmond High School, and their basketball team!

Thanks again,

AAESP (Australian-American Exchange Student Program)"

I was so excited!! I knew I'd be leaving in over a month, but I still couldn't wait! I told mom right away and got her excited to. I bragged to Macy about it, and she told me that I needed to Skype her a lot while in Australia. I told her I would, and said the same to my parents. Xavier didn't want me to go either. He said he didn't want to be alone with Macy and having nobody to fight her off when she gets mood swings. I told him to just stay in his room, away from the monster. We laughed, he thanked me, and he said he was excited for me. I still couldn't believe I was going to Australia!!!

~

Shitty ending.. I know, I know.. Sorry:(