19|AS I LAY DYING

Grayson sits against the trunk of a tree, her eyebrows drawn together as she gazes at the bloody wolf asleep at her feet

Grayson sits against the trunk of a tree, her eyebrows drawn together as she gazes at the bloody wolf asleep at her feet. She glances up at Elijah with an angry look but doesn't give him the satisfaction of speaking, re-directing her gaze whenever he opens his mouth to talk.

"You're being ridiculous, Cordelia," Elijah muses, resting his hands in the pockets of his slacks.

Grayson hums to herself, glancing down at her nails with her eyebrows raised as if to say, am I? Her head snaps up whenever she hears the wolf standing to attention, it's eyes wide as it looks around. The wolf tilts its head to the side before leaning down and brushing against her. The Hunt girl springs up with a shriek, glaring at Klaus. "You're disgusting," she snaps. "I don't want any of that on me."

There's a short beat of silence as the wolf morphs into a man, Klaus smirking up at the two vampires in all his glory. Grayson scoffs and averts her gaze while Elijah tosses Klaus a pair of clothes.

"You've been busy," Elijah comments.

"That was amazing," Klaus breathes. "How long has it been?"

"Almost 2 days. Full moon came and went. You remained a wolf."

"I remember every single kill," he says as he finishes getting dressed.

"Yes, I've been cleaning up your little mess along the way."

"Just like old times, brother."

"You've had your fun," Elijah's voice firms up. "I believe we have a bargain."

"That's right. Now, what was it again?" The hybrid grins, amused. "Oh, yeah. Wait. I remember. That's it. You wish to be reunited with our family."

Elijah takes a threatening step forward, "You gave me your word, Niklaus."

"What kind of brother would break his bond? Even though you did try to kill me." He glances at Grayson, "both of you."

The Hunt girl stares at him, "what about it?"

"I could have," Elijah tells his brother, helping him slip on his jacket. "But I didn't."

"And now no one can," Klaus turns to face the man. "Not even you." Elijah stiffens and Klaus laughs, clapping his brother on the shoulder. "Relax, Elijah. All is forgiven."

"Where are they?"

"You need to lighten up. I'll bring you to them soon enough."

"Where are we going?" Grayson asks, following the two men as they trudge through the woods.

Klaus looks over his shoulder, "nowhere you should be concerned about, love. You'll forget about it soon enough."

••

Grayson knows before she steps into the apartment with Klaus and Elijah. She just knows that one of the Salvatore brothers have done something stupid, if not both of them. Her fists clench at her sides whenever she sees Katherine holding Stefan against the wall, as if she were presenting him to the newly made hybrid.