17|THE LAST DAY PT. 2

Grayson lingers outside with Ric and Damon, her arms folded over her chest as she waits for the man to unlock his apartment door. Katherine beats him to it, yanking the door open and a smirk gracing her lips at the sight of him.

"Look who's dumb enough to come back," she muses.

He sighs. "Well, somebody had to invite them in. Damon, Grayson. Would you like to, uh, come in?"

Grayson nods with a hum, winking at Katherine as she strolls past the shell shocked vampire. Damon tries to come in after her but Katherine rushes over to him, pinning him against the wall.

"Are you trying to get me killed?"

Damon switches their positions, shoving the woman off of him. "I gave you vervain, now I'm here to collect. We've got it from here, Ric."

"You sure?" He double checks.

"Yeah, only one of us needs to get blamed for this. Speaking of—" he looks over his shoulder at Grayson. "—You should leave."

"No way in hell, sweetheart," Grayson chimes sarcastically, rummaging through Ric's alcohol draws.

Damon rolls his eyes, addressing Ric. "Get back in the house. Keep Elena from handing herself over."

"Okay," the human relents.

"Get blamed for what?" Katherine asks once Ric leaves.

"I need to know where Klaus is keeping his werewolf."

"Why? What are you going to do?"

"Have a tea party," Grayson deadpans. "What do you think?"

"Dead werewolf equals no ritual," Damon pipes up.

"No," Katherine says strongly. "You can't interfere, guys. Klaus will kill you and everyone you've ever met."

"Lucky for me, I don't know everyone I've ever met." Grayson smiles dryly. "That work for you, Damon?"

He hums in agreement before looking at Katherine again, "I just need to delay this thing."

"No. No way."

"You should like this," he informs her. "It's going to buy another month of your pathetic life."

"Right," she smirks. "Except that I'm not the vampire he's planning on sacrificing."

Grayson's stare sharpens, "what?"

"Yeah," the Pierce pushes. "He's got Caroline Forbes and Tyler Lockwood. Therefore, I'm in the clear."

Grayson's gaze meets Katherine and the Hunt moves before the doppelgänger can speak, her hand wrapped tightly around Katherine's throat and forcing the girl to the ground. She bends to hover over Katherine, her eyes dark. "Where'd he get that idea from, kitty cat?"

"Hey! Hey, hey, hey," Katherine's pitch heightens as Grayson squeezes her throat. "I'm just trying to stay alive long enough to get myself out of here."

"What if I told you Elena had vampire blood in her system?" Damon blurts out.

"What?!"

"Tell us," Grayson demands. "Now, and I might let you out of here alive."

"You wouldn't kill me," Katherine calls her bluff.

Grayson laughs, moving closer to the vampire's face. "Why? Because I know you? Whatever fucked up past life we met in is gone, Katherine." The Pierce's eyes gloss over and the Hunt continues. "You mean nothing to me, your life means nothing to me. You won't have to worry about Klaus because at the end of the day, I'll rip your heart out."