10|THE DINNER PARTY

Grayson suppresses the urge to groan as her consciousness begins to surface, the deep sleep she was in now interrupted. Her nose scrunches when she feels someone pull her comforter up to her chin, softly tucking her further into the bed. She rolls over, throwing an arm and a leg out, only to be stopped by another body resting peacefully beside her. Her eyes snap open and meet melting ice, a soft smile playing at his lips. "Damon," she states groggily. "Were you watching me sleep?"

He rolls his eyes, sinking down against the headboard. His arm lies limply to the side, offering Grayson his body warmth to snuggle in to. "No," he replies. "I slept in here last night, remember? I woke up a few minutes ago and was waiting for Stefan to call me."

"Oh," she replies as she curls up to his side. Her eyes slip closed again but she listens as Damon explains why his brother had to call.

"Speaking of," Damon mutters in the middle of his story-telling. He grabs his phone from the bedside table and clicks accept call, putting it on speaker for Grayson to hear.

"What's going on?" Stefan questions.

"Well, I showered-" he pauses when the Hunt mutters 'a few minutes my ass'. He gives her a look before returning to the call. "I shaved. Had breakfast. Very relaxed,"

"That makes one of us," the youngest Salvatore tells him.

"I did hear one piece of good news though," Damon stalls for dramatic effect. "Tyler Lockwood ran away from home last night,"

"How do you know?" Stefan asks.

"Well, I heard it from Sheriff Forbes, who heard it from a very distraught Carol Lockwood, thus, ending our werewolf chapter, bringing us to..."

"...killing Elijah."

Grayson opens her eyes, looking up at Damon blankly. He arches an eyebrow in question and instead of expressing her thoughts, Grayson sinks farther into the Salvatore's side.

"Exactly," chirps Damon.

"Well, it's not going to be easy." Stefan informs his brother. "He's crafty."

"And old," Grayson pipes up.

"Well, I've got a crafty little dagger," Damon says.

"He's an Original. We don't know what all that encompasses,"

"Oh, trust me, Stefan. I'm gonna dot my i's and cross all my t's. I don't want any surprises,"

"Wow, Damon, tell me you're actually gonna be careful for once?"

"Yes, Stefan, I've become you. How tragic for both of us. Got to run. I've a murder to plan. Busy day," Damon hangs up and releases a heavy sigh.

Grayson, having heard the banter between the two, gives her friend an exasperated look. "I'm so glad I don't have siblings,"

"Mm," he hums. He gracefully slips out of her bed and heads toward the door, not stopping once as he calls over his shoulder, "get dressed. We've got to go conspire."

••
Grayson sits opposite Alaric, leaning back in her chair and lazily looking around The Grill. Her first priority wasn't necessarily killing Elijah, but her friends didn't have to know that.

"Other than your lecture on the history of Mystic Falls, did you get anything out of Elijah?" Damon asks Ric, his eyebrows furrowed as he looks at the History teacher.

"No, it was boring." Ric replies bitterly. "Of course, Jenna thinks he's charming."

"I mean," Grayson raises her eyebrows as she leans forward to take a sip of her drink. "You'd be stupid not to think Elijah's charming."