04|KATERINA PT. 2

(Taking place after the episode "Katerina")

"Grayson darling, can you come down here for a second?" A familiar voice called from the parlor of the Salvatore boarding house. Grayson paused from where she was reading her book, her eyebrows dipping in confusion at the silky voice that swept through the house. "Grayson," the voice began teasingly, suddenly appearing at the Hunt's side.. "I know you're upset with me, but this is the third time you've read that book in a day."

Instead of questioning why the unknown woman knew that, or why she was in her house, Grayson felt an amused smile pulling at her lips. "Maybe I just really like this book."

"No," the voice whined. Grayson grunted as the book was ripped from her hands, replaced by a body straddling her lap. "Pay attention to me," the girl whined. She abruptly grabbed Grayson's face, trying to force the brunette to look at her. "Please," she pouted.

Grayson briefly wondered how she knew the woman was pouting at her without having to look. Her hands subconsciously moved up and circled around the woman's wrists, caressing the skin with her thumbs. "I miss you," her lips formed the words before she thought on them.

"I'm right here," the soft voice mused. "I'm with you."

Grayson took a risk in glancing up, her breath catching in her throat when she met eyes with the woman. Her eyes were stormy, but so-so clear all at the same time. While her lips were turned into a small pout, just like Grayson expected. Her cheeks were dusted with subtle freckles that made the Hunt girl want to smile. Don't even get Grayson started on-

"Grayson," the woman scolded. Her eyes were wide with amusement but somehow, Grayson knew she was serious. "I told you, I don't like it when you look at me like that."

"Like what?" Grayson wondered.

"Like you'll never see me again," she replied softly.

Grayson hummed, reaching forward to tug on a piece of the girl's blonde hair. "Sorry," she murmured.

The woman's eyes glanced to the ring on Grayson's left hand as the Hunt girl played with her hair, her cheeks warming. "I'm happy you're getting my last name."

"Are you?" Grayson teased. "What last name would that be?"

The blonde rolled her eyes playfully, "Mik-"

"Grayson!"

Grayson shot up in her bed, her hair matted to her sweaty forehead. Her eyes darted around until they landed on a frantic looking Rose. Her shoulders slumped and she sighed heavily, "What?" She groaned.

Rose bit the inside of her cheek before sitting down on the end of Grayson's bed, her lips pursing with the hesitance to speak. "I- I think you were having a nightmare," she explained. "You were tossing and turning, and I- I heard you whimper a few times."

Grayson blinked before laughing, and for what reason, she wasn't sure. "It- it wasn't a nightmare."

Rose raised her eyebrows, nodding slowly. "Do you, um, want to talk about it?"

Grayson's immediate reply was going to be 'no', but she caught herself nodding. Rose was the only person that seemed to know more about herself than she did. So what else did she have to lose by telling the vampire about the vague dream she had?

"It was a good dream, I think." Grayson murmured, looking down at her hands. "I was here- at the boarding house- and I was reading, but not because I actually wanted to."

"So why were you then?" Rose wondered.

"I was angry with- well, I don't know what she was to me- but I was angry with this woman and I think- I think I was pretending to ignore her to tease her, or- or make her apologize."

"Why were you angry with her?"

"I don't think it was genuine anger," the Hunt girl admitted. "It was playful, and sweet. It was more of a loving banter, I guess."

"It sounds lovely," the vampire hummed in reply.

"It wasn't real," Grayson reminded her. Her hands shook and she reached up to fix her hair.

"Of course not," Rose nodded. "But did you want it to be?"

"Doesn't everyone want a love that's like a dream?" Grayson shot back.

"What was she like?" Rose asked instead, not wanting the Hunt girl to close herself off again. "Your girl in the dream?"

Grayson felt a smile tug at her lips as her cheeks began to glow. "She- she was beautiful. Her eyes were amazing," she gushed. "It was like staring into the ocean and being so curious about what secrets it held inside. She- she had these cute freckles on her cheeks that reminded me of that One Direction song, and her lips seemed to have this permanent pout, but it only made her look adorable."

"You sound love-struck." Rose laughed.

"I was," Grayson breathed out. Her eyes widened along with Rose's and she cleared her throat. "In the dream, I mean."

Rose looked at the girl for a long second before standing up. "Well," she smiled softly. "I'll let you get back to sleep."

"Yeah," the Hunt girl nodded even though she knew sleep wasn't an option. "Goodnight, Rose."

"Goodnight, Grayson."

.............

not edited. thank you for reading, my sunshines.