14|THE LAST DANCE PT. 2

Grayson downs the rest of her drink and makes eye contact with Damon across the dance floor, her eyebrows shooting up at the sight of he and Elena dancing. He smirks, nodding his head toward Bonnie.

Grayson straightens her shirt out and moves closer to the girl, flashing Jeremy a wide grin. "You wouldn't mind if I cut in, would you?"

He looks at her in confusion but nods anyway, trudging away from the two girls. Grayson, in a haste, grabs Bonnie's hands and puts them on her shoulders.

"What are you doing?" The witch wonders, looking at the girl warily.

"Damon and I heard you earlier," Grayson says vaguely.

Bonnie sighs, stepping away from Grayson and folding her arms over her chest. "I don't—"

"Is it true?" The vampire asks.

"Yes,"

Grayson makes a face, nodding. "The part about you having a 50-50 shot of surviving?"

"He was upset," Bonnie says. "I didn't want him to worry."

"He loves you," Grayson tells the teenager. "He's gonna worry, regardless."

Bonnie doesn't respond and the vampire gets back on topic, hardening her features. "So you lay it out on the line for Elena, no matter what?"

"No matter what," Bonnie confirms.

"Such blind faith you have," Grayson mutters.

"She's my best friend," the dark skinned girl tells her. "Wouldn't you do the same for yours?"

Grayson turns her head instinctively, watching as Damon dances around with Elena, his face pulled into a bright smile. "Yeah," she clears her throat. "I guess I would."

"You can't tell her," Bonnie says.

"I wouldn't," Grayson shrugs. "Your business with your friend is none of mine." Bonnie hums in question when Grayson pauses, looking down at her almost solemnly. "With all that power, is there no way to increase your odds?"

"Careful, Grayson," Bonnie smiles. "I might start to think you actually care."

"I just don't want anymore death," the vampire admits. "You're a child, and you're supposed to have your life ahead of you. It's not supposed to be like this."

"I choose to believe that whatever's meant to happen, will happen." Bonnie tells the girl.

Grayson nods wordlessly, watching forlornly as the girl stalks off to find Jeremy.

•••

Grayson dances with Damon, her eyes crinkling as she watches the man pull a funny move. "You don't know how to dance at all," she insults him.

He looks at her, scandalized. "Yeah?" She nods and he mocks her dance moves, "so what do you call this then?"

Grayson yelps as she's yanked to the side, brooding Stefan Salvatore being the culprit.

"Come on, come on, come on," he urges she and his brother to come closer. "Please tell me you two didn't know that Bonnie was on a suicide mission."

"Calm down," Grayson rolls her eyes. "You're only confronting us about it because you don't want Elena to think you did nothing, which is exactly what we're supposed to be doing."

"You promised her no more secrets,"

"Damon promised her no more secrets," Grayson corrects the younger vampire. "I'm doing her enough of a favor by helping protect her."