20|THE BIRTHDAY

Grayson lingers a few steps behind Klaus as he stalks up the woman's driveway, obviously readying whatever screwed up façade he's gonna spew to the unsuspecting woman. As if he knows she's thinking of him, the hybrid turns to look at her over his shoulder, his eyebrows raised. "I'd keep up if I were you, love."

"Right," she quickens her pace, glaring up at him. "I wouldn't want to miss the show."

"Oh, Cordelia," he grins mockingly. "You are the show." He shoves her forward, out of the shadows, the unknown woman that occupies the house jumping in fright. Klaus moves forward from behind Grayson when he sees the girl freeze her, her eyes wide at the sight of the frightened woman. "I'm so sorry," he apologizes, an American accent making an appearance. "We didn't mean to scare you."

"Can I help you?" The woman asks, her eyes flicking between Grayson and Klaus.

"Yeah, our car ran out of gas a couple of miles back," he tells her. "I feel like we've been walking forever. Yours is the first house we've come to so I was just hoping I could use your phone."

Grayson stays stock still next to Klaus, giving the woman a strained smile whenever she looks to her.

"Neither of you have a cellphone?"

Klaus pulls it from his pocket, showing the woman the dark screen. He laughs, sounding carefree; but Grayson knows better. She can see the annoyance on his face, and even worse; the fact that his patience is running thin. She rests a hand on Klaus' shoulder, playing the role of doting wife for the girl's sake. "We just got married," Grayson says softly. "We wanted to do something spontaneous so we just jumped in the car. We thought we'd at least make it to a store before our car ran out of gas."

The woman relents, sighing heavily. "Sure."

"So, we can come in?" Klaus wonders.

"No, I'll get the phone and I'll bring it out to you."

Grayson's hand falls from Klaus' shoulder when he moves forward, the kind smile gracing his lips beinf replaced by a sneer. "I thought you country folks were supposed to be more trusting."

"I'm from Florida," the woman deadpans.

"Well, that explains it," Klaus grabs her by throat and yanks her closer, looking into her eyes with a dark smirk. "Now show me a little southern hospitality, sweet pea."

"You-" she stutters whenever Klaus tightens his grip on her neck. "You can come in."

"Mm," he hums and drags her onto the front porch, swinging the door open. "Now, love, invite my good friend Grayson in, please."

The girl looks at Grayson, a sob escaping her lips. "You can come in."

Grayson strides in past Klaus and the woman, clenching her jaw whenever the girl tries top struggle in the hybrid's hold. He forces her into the kitchen where another woman is cooking, blissfully unaware that her friend was being held captive.

"I bet you a hundred dollars that dog ran off to a house with air conditioning," she says. She turns her head, stopping abruptly when she sees the position her friend is in. What's going on?"

"Please don't be alarmed,." Klaus smiles sadistically. "I was told Ray Sutton lives here."

"He's almost never here," she rushes to say. "He's on the road mostly."

"But I expect he makes it home, once a month," the woman's face contorts and Klaus nods. "That's what I thought. Where is he now?" She doesn't respond and Klaus shifts the blonde in his hold, becoming restless. "If I have to make you tell me, its going to be infinitely more painful for you."