18|THE SUN ALSO RISES

Grayson falls back from the edge of the fire, a strangled noise escaping her whenever the heat bites at her skin

Grayson falls back from the edge of the fire, a strangled noise escaping her whenever the heat bites at her skin. Her eyes glass over as she watches Elena's face contort into grief, the human worrying over Jenna's frantic state.

"Oh, my head," Jenna groans. "What's wrong with me?"

"Do you remember what happened?" Elena asks her.

"You called me," Jenna tells her. "You were so scared." The Sommers woman recognizes the expression on Elena's face and she nods with a grin look. "Oh, I should have realized that it wasn't you. The second I walked out of the house, someone grabbed me." Her eyes widen, "A vampire."

"Klaus," Elena fills her in. "It was Klaus."

"He made me drink his blood. I don't—I don't remember anything after that." She looks around anxiously. "Where are we? What happened?"

Elena takes Jenna's hand in her own, "We're at the quarry. He brought us here."

"Why don't I remember anything?"

"Jenna, do you remember...when I told you how someone becomes a vampire?"

"Yeah, if you die with vampire blood in your system, it's..." She pauses, gasping in realization. "Oh, god. He killed me."

"Jenna, listen to me," Elena tries to gain the crying woman's attention. "Listen to me; everything's going to be okay. I'm going to get you out of here."

"I'm a vampire?" She breathes.

"And I bet you're hungry," the witch says with a smug smile. She approaches the aunt and niece, waving her hand toward Elena when the human picks up a sharp rockne tries to rush toward her. Elena lands in the dirt, a circle of fire igniting around her. Elena tries to jump through the fire, crying out whenever it burns her. "Don't bother trying to get through. I spelled the circle. You're trapped. No matter what you do."

"Greta..." Elena begs, "Please, just—just let her go."

Greta grabs the sharp rock Elena tried to go for and cuts her arm, trudging closer to Jenna with the wound stretched out. "Klaus chose her."

"No," Elena says strongly.

Greta lowers her wrist to the woman, "Drink it."

"Jenna, don't!"

"I can't," Jenna struggles to resist.

Grayson catches Jenna's eyes and the Hunt looks at her sympathetically, a thick lump rising in her throat. Grayson wishes she could tell Jenna that she understands. Understands how hard it is to fight the bloodlust, even if it is for your loved ones. Understands how primal the urge is, how it makes you feel like some sort of uncaged animal.

"Let her go," Elena demands. "Hey!"

Jenna continues to stare at Greta's bloody wrist, her fangs extending from her gums. With a small moment of hesitation, she sinks her teeth into the witch's wrist, her eyes slipping closed in relief.