16|THE LAST DAY

Grayson leans against the frame of Damon's bedroom door, her arms folded and her lips pursed. "You're sulking," she accuses.

"I am not sulking," he sits up.

"Then why am I in here with you, when we should both be down there listening to what Elijah has to say?"

Damon heaves a heavy sigh, hauling himself up from his bed. He strolls past Grayson and down the hallway, taking his sweet time in going downstairs.

"Tonight is the full moon," Elijah's voice echoes. "We should assume that Klaus is prepared to break the curse."

"Elena said that the Sun and the Moon curse is fake?" Stefan double checks, "That it's actually just a curse placed on Klaus."

Damon gives Grayson a questioning look and she nods, vivid images of she, Klaus and Elijah standing in a dim room, laughing about the scrolls flashing through her mind. The Salvatore hums, falling silent as they walk down the staircase together and into the main room.

"Klaus is a vampire born of a werewolf bloodline," the Original informs Elena and Stefan. "The curse has kept his werewolf aspect from manifesting. But if he breaks it...he'll be a true hybrid."

"Then why are we letting him break the curse?" Damon interrupts, his face stony. "We can kill him today. With Bonnie."

"Damon..." Stefan trails off, tired from his brothers restlessness on the subject.

"No," Elena speaks up. "Bonnie can't use that much power without dying."

"I'll write her a great eulogy," Damon pitches in sarcastically.

Grayson shoots him a look, shaking her head.

"It's not an option, Damon."

"All right, how do we break this curse?" Stefan questions Elijah once Damon's expression falls.

"Well, the ritual itself is relatively straightforward. The ingredients, so to speak, you already know."

"The moonstone," Stefan nods.

"A witch will channel the power of the full moon to release the spell that's bound within the stone. After that, Klaus, being both werewolf and vampire, will sacrifice one of each."

"And where do I fit into it?" Elena wonders.

"The final part of the ritual," Elijah takes a wooden box from the shelf, holding it gently between his hands. "Klaus must drink the blood of the doppelgänger...to the point of your death."

Grayson watches as Damon's head snaps over to Elena, his eyes almost frantic.

"And that's where you come in," Elena says.

The Hunt girl watches the Original take a vial from the wooden box, his eyes flicking up to her for a short second before he gives Elena his attention. "This is an elixir that I acquired some 500 years ago for Katerina—"

"500 years ago?" Grayson's eyes widen.

"—It possesses mystical properties of resuscitation."

"So I'll be dead?" The doppelgänger questions.

"And then you won't."

"That's your plan?" Damon asks, disbelief coating his words. Grayson bites the inside of her cheek from next to him, a last resort to stay silent while Damon speaks his mind. "A magical witch potion with no expiration date?" He looks at Elena, "You want to come back to life, what about John's ring?"

"Those rings only work on humans," Elijah reminds him. "The doppelgänger's a supernatural occurrence. Odds are, the ring won't work."

"I'll take those odds over your elixir," the younger vampire snaps, his voice taking on a desperate plea. "What if it doesn't work, Elena?"