12|KNOW THY ENEMY

Grayson trots down the stairs behind Damon and Stefan, her fingers combing through her knotted hair as she puts it up.

"Isobel just showed up at their front doorstep," Stefan says.

"What's she doing here?" Damon questions.

"I don't know," Stefan replies. "That's what I'm gonna go find out."

They reach the end of the stairs as Katherine emerges from the corner, a sly look on her face. "I don't think that you should tell her that I'm here,"

Grayson arches an eyebrow, "why are you here?"

Katherine smiles wryly, folding her arms across her chest. "Why, I'm here for you, baby."

The Hunt wrinkles her nose before mirroring the vampire's actions, "why don't you want Isobel knowing you're here?"

"It's better if she and John not know that I stayed in town after I got out of the tomb," the Pierce explains.

"You're the one in cahoots with them," Damon reminds her. "You made a deal with John that almost got me killed."

"Yeah," Grayson pouts. "That wasn't very nice of you, kitten."

Katherine glares at the girl, "I did what I had to get out of the tomb. Now I'm reconsidering my alliance,"

The Pierce tries to turn away but Stefan stops her, his voice suspicious. "What do you know?"

"I know that I want Klaus dead, which puts me squarely on team you."

Grayson scoffs, "I don't think—"

"Besides, if you two ever need me to swap places with Elena again, the less people know that I'm here, the better."

Grayson bites the inside of her cheek, side eyeing Stefan as he stares at the older vampire.

"Think about it, Stefan." Katherine urges, "Come on. Be smart."

"Tell you what," he flashes them a tight smile as he shuffles toward the door and grabs his jacket. "Why don't you, uh...Call Alaric and let him know that his wife just showed up on his girlfriend's doorstep."

Grayson makes a face when the door slams behind Stefan. "He wasn't talking to me, right? Because I— I am not about to be involved in whatever fucked up sister wives thing Ric has going on."

Damon stifles a laugh, shaking his head. "I'll call Ric." His eyes brighten and he smirks. "You just, uh, keep her entertained."

Katherine waves her fingers at Grayson, a smug smile pulling at her lips.

"For fuck's sake."

•••

When Grayson's phone rings, the girl lunges for it, a sigh of relief escaping her lips. "Caroline," she greets.

"Matt's missing!" The blonde blurts out in a panic.

Grayson gapes, losing her words for a short second. "Excuse me? I'm sorry, it sounds like you said the dumb blond was missing?"

Katherine laughs, shaking her head. "Matty blue, always getting into trouble."

"Shut up," Grayson snaps.

"I didn't even say anything!" Caroline exclaims, her voice shrill.

"Not you," the Hunt grumbles. Her eyes flick to Katherine while she talks to Caroline, watching as the girl amuses herself with Grayson's nail polish. "What do you mean, Matt's missing?"