Chapter 20

Aaliyah POV

After about an hour, we walk downstairs to grab breakfast. When we walk into the kitchen, I see both Josephine and Ivy quietly talking over a cup of coffee. I shift my body closer to Aaron, so I'm slightly hidden behind his strength.

"Good morning," Josephine says as she hops up and bounces over to us.

I clutch Aaron's hand tight and give her a small smile before looking up to him for a cue on if she is safe. She may have helped me to break the bind on my voice, but that doesn't mean she is trustworthy.

"Morning, Josie," Aaron smiles. I think he feels how comfortable I am in the room so he leans down to press a kiss against my hair.

"Hi," she focuses on me with a bright smile, "I'm glad to see you are doing better."

I give her a soft smile and a nod back. She looks a bit confused for a moment before she looks up to Aaron.

"Did the spell work?" she asks him.

"Yes," he answers definitively, "She's able to talk."

"I'm happy it worked," she tries again to talk to me, but I still don't say anything.

Aaron gives me a questioning look as if asking what's wrong. I don't know how to tell him that I feel safer not saying anything to people I don't fully trust, but I also can see his hope that I'm alright shining in his eyes.

I don't want to let him down.

Looking back to Josephine, my voice comes out barely over a whisper, "Thank you."

"Why don't you guys come sit with us?" she invites as she moves back to the table.

Aaron leans down to me, "You okay?"

I give him a soft nod and lean into his body to let him know I will be. Then we make our way to the table and Aaron sits me into a chair before going to the island to grab us both plates.

I sit in silence as Aaron puts the plates in front of us and joins me in the sit next to me. He pulls our chairs as close as he can so our thighs are against each other and he can keep one arm around me.

His constant touch is calming and I can feel my body and fox relax into it.

"So are we ever going to learn your beautiful mate's name?" Josephine jokes as Ivy just sits there watching me.

"Aaliyah," I breathe out quietly.

"It's very nice to meet you, Aaliyah," Ivy says softly as if knowing I might break at any moment. I feel like a lost doe ready to bolt at the first loud noise, "Would you be willing to answer a few questions for me?"

Aaron nods, so I decide to trust his judgement, "Yes."

"How long have you been spellbound?" she asks first.

"Four years I think."

"Do you know the name of the witch that performed the spell?"

I release a small whimper as I look away to focus on the table. Aaron wraps his arm around me tighter and moves his other hand to rub soothingly into my leg.

"She told me it was a kid that did it," Aaron answers for me, "The hunters killed the witch soon after."

Ivy gives me a small smile as I feel a wave of comfort wash over me. I look at her in question as I continue feeling it.

"Sorry," she sheepishly apologizes. The look seems a bit weird for someone her age to try to pull as she seems like a little kid who got caught with their hand in the cookie jar, "I'm an empath. I can feel your fear and discomfort. I just wanted to make you feel a little better."

I give her a nod in understanding. I feel as if I should be angry with her for invading my emotions that way, but I'm actually just relieved that I'm not focusing on my fears.

They talk with Aaron for a little while more before they both head out for a meeting with Aaron's father. I lean my head against Aaron's shoulder and release a sigh.

"You still aren't talking, angel," he comments. I love that he still calls me angel, even after knowing my real name.

"I'm sorry," I whisper.

"You don't have anything to apologize for," he tells me adamantly, "You don't have to trust anyone with your voice. I'm just happy that you trust me with it."

I tilt my head back so I can kiss his jaw in appreciation. I move to kiss his lips when I hear loud stomping coming towards the kitchen.

Not even a moment later, the door swings open. I nearly jump a foot in the air at the sound as two giant men walk into the space and head straight for the table.

I'm shaking a bit as I take in their features. They are a perfect match with dark blonde hair and striking features. They are both extremely large with bulking muscles. The chairs creak as they plop into the seats across from us.

"Luna," they both say at the same time. Their echoing each other is a bit creepy.

Luna, Aiya repeats in my mind. Aaron is going to be the next alpha of the pack.

I will be the Luna, I think to myself, How can I be the heart of a pack when I feel so weak?

"We have been begging Aaron to introduce us since you got here," the one of the left says, "I'm Zach."

"I'm Thatcher," the other says, "I'm glad you're finally here."

"They are both my betas. If I am not here, they will be in charge of protecting you," Aaron tells me, "Guys, this is Aaliyah."

I give them a small wave in hello and they give a soft laugh at the shy move.

"She's adorable," Zach jokes.

Aaron growls, "She's mine."

He laughs again as he holds his hands up.

"Since you have finally found your Luna, I guess it's time to finally figure out who the gamma is after all," Zach states, holding his hand up to me to put my palm in his.

I give Aaron a questioning look.

"Since I didn't have a mate yet, they have both been serving as beta. Your fox will decide which one is gamma," he explains, "The gamma's job is to protect the Luna, so only the Luna can pick who it is."

I nod my head in understanding. Foxes don't really have a hierarchy since most live alone or with their families. A skulk is more of a way for the groups to stay together and be protected. We lived more as a community where every family had a voice. There wasn't an alpha or luna.

Although living so many years in wolf packs, I know enough about wolf life to know the significance of each pack members role. An alpha and luna's pick for their advisors is some of the most important decisions they can make.

If Aaron picked Zach and Thatcher to be his seconds, they must be extremely trustworthy and loyal.

I lift my hand and place it against Zach's. When Aiya doesn't say anything, I look to Thatcher and make a gesture for his hand. He does the same thing Zach did and I connect our hands.

Gamma, Aiya calls out.

"Gamma," I state and Thatcher smiles brightly.

Aaron kisses me as Thatcher and Zach start talking quickly to each other about what they will have to do next.

"Good job, angel," he whispers and kisses me again. I feel pride fill me at my fox's choice.

"What happens now?" I wonder, not even realizing I said the words aloud.

He leans forward to rest his forehead against mine, "Now I take you to our home."