Chapter 29

Aaron POV

Nothing I try gets Aaliyah to calm. I hold her close and cuddle her against me, but she doesn't stop fighting me. In the end, Ivy casts a spell to put her to sleep.

I gently lay her into the bed, drawing the covers up and tucking her into the blankets.

"Aaron, how did you know what she was going to do?" Ivy questions, "Did her fox reach out over the bond?"

"No," I shake my head, my eyes not leaving my angel's face, "I don't know how to explain it really, but I could see her doing it."

"Like she sent you her thoughts over your mate bond?" Ivy asks, moving closer to us.

"It was like when we went into the sharing. My vision started to blur and I felt my mind being pulled towards her. When I could see again, I was in the bathroom with her," I try to explain, "I was seeing through her eyes."

"Like you were still in her head watching it or was it like you were experiencing her movements as your own?"

"A bit of both, I think," I say, not sure how to really contemplate and explain the experience.

"Oh god," her hand covers her mouth in shock for a moment before mumbling, "Consequences."

Standing up from the bed, I turn my attention completely to Ivy, "What do you mean consequences?"

"I told you manipulating the sharing could have consequences for your bond," she tells me, "Luckily, your bond seems to still be intact."

I growl low, "What is the consequence?"

"Your mate bond is tied so tight, so strong, that you will not only share thoughts, but the two of you can see into each other's minds," she says, "Your bond is complete, but at the same time you are still experiencing the sharing."

I brush the hair off Aaliyah's forehead and slide my hand along her cheek. She mumbles something I don't quite catch and my heart soars a tiny bit when I feel her move slightly into my touch.

"If we are still experiencing the sharing, it means she let me in," my words are quiet and soft.

"She must have called out to you. Even if she doesn't know why, she most likely knew you would stop her from hurting herself," Ivy tells me. She places her hand over Aaliyah's, "Her fear is prominent, but I can feel her relief too. I can feel her love for you, but her fear is keeping it out."

"She wanted me to stop her," I tell myself and Kiba, "She doesn't want to die."

"No, she doesn't. She just wants her nightmares to end."

It's a few moments before Ivy speaks again.

"Hopefully, this is the only consequence your bond will experience," she says, "We will have to keep a look out for any other side effects."

"What else could happen?"

"With how strong the bond is, you could not only share pain, but injuries themselves."

"If Aaron gets hurt, Aaliyah will too?" my dad speaks up.

"Yes, and vice versa."

"If it happens, we'll deal with it then," I dismiss them, "For now, I'm need to focus on my mate."

"We understand," my father squeezes my shoulder in comfort before heading to the door, "If you two need us, just call. We'll be here."

"Thank you both. For everything," I smile, but I can feel it not reach my eyes.

"Aaron, just remember that the sharing works both ways. As you can see through her eyes, she can see through yours," Ivy warns, closing the door behind them.

I lay down onto the bed and pull my angel into my arms. I hold my breath as she unconsciously moves closer to my chest.

"We'll get through this, angel. You'll remember us," I kiss the top of her head, "I love you."

*****

Almost two weeks pass before I can convince Aaliyah that I'm not a hunter and that she is safe in the pack. It takes another three before I get her to leave the house.

She's skittish around everyone who stops by. She refuses to speak out loud and practically hides behind me when anyone gets within ten feet of her.

The one bright spot I have is that she has left the mate bond open. I can still hear her thoughts and we have conversations that way. Kiba has even been able to talk to Aiya because of it.

I try to get her out and walking around the pack as much as possible now. I don't want her to hide inside herself. I taught her once that this pack, our pack, is her home and her family.

But as much as I want to remind her, I'm starting to feel as if pushing her like this is just doing more harm than good.

We are sitting in the meadow near our home, listening to the sounds of the pack. We can hear the pups running around the play ground nearby and the sounds of some going on a run in wolf form. I see Thatcher walk along the trail. When he spots us, he gives a small wave and smile. After a few moments of nonreaction from Aaliyah, his smile turns sad and he continues towards training.

"Do you remember Thatcher?" I turn my head down to Aaliyah, who has her head resting in my lap, "He's your gamma."

Gamma, I hear her mutter quietly as an image of the moment Aaliyah accepted Thatcher flashes through my mind.

"Yes, angel. His job is to protect you," I remind her.

No. You protect me. Only you.

I'll always protect you, angel, I lean down to kiss her forehead before speaking out loud, "But I'm not the only one who will do anything to keep you safe."

The pack? she questions, knowing it's something I've been saying for weeks.

"Yes."

No! she screams, worry crossing her features, Don't let them get hurt. Not for me.

"Angel, you are our Luna. You are the heart of the pack and the pack will protect our heart with our lives."

The hunters will hurt everyone.

"I won't let that happen."

How?

"Because I promised you before that I wouldn't, and I've never broken a promise to you," I say, "Remember, angel?"

She hesitates for a few moments as I watch her concentrate on her memories. Since she woke up, her memories have been chaotic. She has many moments where she hasn't been able to sort what happened before and after the lab.

I see the instant she locks onto our past conversation, I remember.

Good, I lean down and place a gentle kiss on her lips. Nothing more than a slight brush, but enough to still send shivers through my whole body.

I like when you kiss me, she smiles shyly up at me.

"Good cause I plan to never stop kissing you," I smile.

She bites her bottom lip as she debates how to respond. I see her mind battling some fear in her chocolate eyes. She breathes deeply, releasing a shaky breath.

Then her lips open and I know I will never forget this moment.

"Promise?"

Her voice is like a balm against every angsty emotion I held in my mind. It's soft and airy like an angel's song. The moment the one word question leave her beautiful lips, I know I've reached heaven.

I smile, kissing her again.

"Promise."