Chapter 33

Aaron POV

I walk towards the pack cells with a determined stride. Today is the last day we are keeping the hunter here. Whether he tells us the location of the doctor or not, he will not live to see another sunrise.
I nod to the guard beside the door as I walk into the room. Zach stands near the side as I catch the sight of him wiping blood off of one of his knifes.
"Beta," I acknowledge him first, seeing as my father and his beta are still upstairs.
"Alpha," he smiles, a bit more menacing then I've seen from him in some time, "He's ready for you."
My lips form a smile for the first time since leaving my mate this morning, "Let's begin."
I turn my attention to the quivering mess in the center of the room. His skin is covered in blood and dirt.
The hunter has been collecting wounds for weeks now without giving up a single word on the others, "It's been near three weeks since you moved into this cell, and you haven't given up anything yet. Hell, you've barely said a word. Guess what that tells me?"
"That he's either loyal or really stupid," Zach comments.
"It's almost commendable," I state, squatting low so his eyes are levels with mine, "Except your boss hurt my mate."
His eyes widen a fraction at my deep growl. My anger is rolling off me in waves.
"He tortured her for years. Cut her open over and over again," I seethe, "Now, you're here and your boss is not. You are the only thing standing between me and the man who harmed my love. Do you believe that that's a good place to stand?"
Before he can even move, I slam my fist into him face. Blood drips from his lips as he starts to cough until a tooth drops from his mouth.
"Where's the doctor?" I growl.
He shakes his head before I punch him again.
"Anderson. I want him now, or avenge my mate by killing you. I will cut you open like he did to her. Are you sure you want to experience that?" I can feel my words snap.
"I don't know," his voice is a small whimper.
He whimpers out as I slam my fist down and into his face. I feel the crunch of his cheekbone under my knuckles.

I move to punch him again when I stop short. My fist hovers midair.

"Dude, you good?" Zach asks.

I shake my head at his confused look. I feel her.
Aaliyah.
I close my eyes, leaving my sight in darkness.

"Aaliyah," her name leaves my lips.
Aaron, she answers me through our bond.

You shouldn't be here, angel. I don't want you to see this.

I didn't mean to,
she apologizes, I'm sorry.
Knowing we don't have a lot of time, I reach softly into her head and take a glance over some of the memories from the lab. I keep my moves careful so Aaliyah doesn't feel me and the images stay away from her sight.
I look at the faces of guards and doctors, but I don't see the man in front of me. He either wasn't at the lab or they just didn't cross paths.

There is nothing to apologize for, but I need you to leave, I tell her, finishing my glance. I keep my look into her kind to myself. I don't want her to even think about the lab, much less remember the pain she went through there.

But-

No, Aaliyah. I will not let this violence touch you, I growl put. I just got her back to herself. These past few weeks with her nearly broke me. I don't ever want to see see like that again.

Aaron, she whimpers.

I know, I say, knowing her thoughts, We'll talk about this later, angel. Please go.

Please be careful, she whispers out before letting the connection go.

Opening my eyes, I'm greeted back to the sight of the hunter. I can feel Zach wanting to ask me what just happened, but I keep my focus on the grimy hunter in front of me.
"You just got lucky," I say to him, "My mate never saw you at that lab. So it makes me think, you weren't there."
"I wasn't," he agrees with me, "I wasn't at the lab."
"I believe you," I lie. I see his desperation in his eyes. His eyes shift constantly as he tries to grasp the lie and force it to be true.
"I never hurt your mate."
"And you don't want me to take my revenge out on you. My mate deserves justice, so I'm going to give you a deal," I try to push my anger down so he won't see my hatred for the hunter, "You give me Anderson and I'll release you."
He hesitates, thinking over the deal.
"You'll let me go?"
"I swear. You will leave this cell and never be put back into it."
"Fine, I'll take the deal."
I nod, turning towards Zach so he can take my place. I move behind the hunter as Zach starts to ask the questions.
"What's your name?" He asks first.
"Jackson."
"What happened after the lab fell?" He asks.
"It was complete chaos. Everyone scattered."
"Where did you go?"
"There was a meet up in place for if the lab ever fell. Wait two weeks and then head over to the secondary location."
"Where?" He snaps, gripping Jackson's hair and pulling it back to force him to look up.
"West Virginia. There's a abandoned lab there. Old town called Brooksville."
Zach lets go of him, pushing him back down.
I place my hands against his shoulders, "Is the Doctor there?"
"Yes."
"You sure it's Anderson."
"Yes. He's the only one who made it to the meet up."
Zach nods to me, "How many men?"
"Twenty-five, give or take," he offers up, but I catch the hitch in his voice. He's lying.
"Well thank you for being so helpful," I growl.
"You'll let me go now?" His voice rises as the first glimpse of real hope enters his mind.

"You'll leave this cell and never return, just like I promised."

Moving my hands up, I grip his neck and twist. I'm moment moment, I've taken his hope and squashed it. His body crumbles to the ground as his head faces the other way around.

"Take his body outside and burn it," I order Zach, "I have to keep my promise after all."

He smirks at my words.

I knock once on the cell door and the guard opens it up. I head out and up the stairs. I send out the feeling of safety and love to Aaliyah, knowing she's still fearful from earlier before making my way to the pack house.

Knowing where the hunters are, a plan starts to form in my mind.

I am going to kill the doctor who harmed my mate. She will get her vengeance.

Dr. Anderson is living in borrowed time.