Chapter 42

Aaliyah POV

My mind opens as my eyes lift back to the light. Adjusting my sight, my eyes connect with the deep chocolate of my mate.

Aaron, I sigh.

"Hi Angel," he breathes the words as if he is saying a prayer.

A smile fights it's way on to my face, "You woke me up."

"I promised I would bring you back. You're safe now, we both are."

My smile slips away, "You left me."

"I'm so sorry, Angel," he begs, shifting so I'm laying more in his arms, "I don't regret the choice, but I'm sorry I hurt you."

"I needed you safe."

"I was," he tried to reassure me, "I returned to my mind only moments before Zach and Thatcher made it to the room. We caught the doctor and we destroyed the hunters base. There are no more left."

"What about.. him?" I ask, not able to get his name out.

"You no longer have to fear him," he placed his fingers under my chin to get me to lift my eyes back to his, "He won't ever be able to hurt you again. He is in the dungeons now and I will guarantee you that he will die."

"He's here?" I worry.

"Not for much longer," Aaron growls, dropping the conversation. I can feel his hatred for the man.

I lean into his body, letting Aiya reach out to Kiba. I sense there comfort in each other as Aaron cuddles me close. There is a sense of calm and rightness with being in my mates arms.

"Angel, I must ask you something," he breaks our perfect silence.

"What is it?"

"I'm so sorry, Aaliyah. I know I don't deserve your forgiveness for leaving you the way I did in your mind and I sure as hell don't for even mentioning breaking our bond," I bristle a bit at that. I hated him even considering that as a choice, "Angel, please forgive me. All I could think about was protecting you. I'm so sorry."

I sit in his arms for a moment as we watches my eyes for my thoughts. Lifting my hand, I settle my palm gently against his cheek.

"I hate what you did, but I also understand why you made the choices you did. Waiting for you in my memories, all I could see was you. I visited every moment, every memory. You have been so patient with me. You protect me, even when I don't see it. You have given me your strength and helped me to heal myself. You love me as much as I love you and I can forgive you for anything."

He lets out the breathe he had been holding, "Thank you, angel."

"I love you so much Aaron. But never even think of breaking our bond," I warn him, "I will not forgive that a second time."

"Understood, my love," he nods enthusiastically, "I love you too."

Leaning down, he connects our lips in a deep kiss that send tingles all the way down to my soul.

*****

"Come on, Angel!" Aaron yells from downstairs, "We're going to be late!"

"I'm coming. I'm coming," I mumble as I finish strapping on my shoes that Aaron's sister had bought me.

I still don't know why he's being so weird. We are just supposed to be having dinner with his parents like we do every Sunday, but Aaron has been nervous and impatient all day.

There has been so many changes over the last few weeks. Once Aaron woke me up, he scooped me into his arms and removed me from the hospital. We spent a week in our bed, healing from the wounds we shared and staying as close as possible.

The more time we spent together, the closer we got and the more I fell in love with him. He made me fearless when he stood beside me and ready to fight all my demons.

The only day we spent apart was last week when he left me in that night to finish what he started in the dungeons. We promised that after he killed the doctor, that would be it. We wouldn't give him any more of our time or nightmares. He didn't get anymore of us.

Thatcher stayed with me to keep me away from Aaron's head, but I know Anderson suffered for everything he did. I had visited in Aaron's mind during previous meetings. Most of the time, they got too violent that Aaron forced me away to protect my mind, but I know what he did to him. He made the doctor beg to die, just like I did. I didn't need to see his death.

Since his death, I feel a weight has been lifted from both me and Aaron. Some days are still hard, but I don't feel as broken as I did when I first met Aaron.

Walking down the steps from our room, I see my mate standing at the bottom of the stairs.

His eyes light up when he sees me, "You look beautiful, Angel."

"Thank you," I blush, still not used to his compliments. He's told me on multiple occasions that he hopes I never do because he loves making the red come over my cheeks.

"Are you ready?" He asks again.

"Yep," I step into his arms, wrapping mine around him, "Are you going to tell me why you are freaking out so much?"

"Nope," he shakes his head, leaning down to kiss the tip of my nose, "It's a surprise."

"A good surprise or a bad one?" I laugh, remembering the last surprise of Thatcher showing up one afternoon with a broken arm and covered in flour because the boys had been screwing around in the pack kitchen.

"A good surprise, promise."

"Okay," I smile up at him, "I trust you, always."

"Good," he gives me a quick chaste kiss before releasing me and turns me immediately around to move out the door.

I giggle at his impatience, "Someone's in a hurry."

"We don't want to be late," he rushes me down the path at a fast pace.

I pull a bit on his hand to get him to slow his steps, "I have shorter legs than you, remember?" I laugh.

He sighs his apology, "Sorry angel. I'm excited."

"I figured," I giggle again.

We emerge from the trees and walk around the house to his parents porch. My feet halt all movement as my eyes spot the person standing on the steps.

Tears fill my eyes and my hand lifts up to cover my gasp, "Oh my god."

I feel Aaron wrap around my silently shaking body. He leans down to whisper into my ear, "I found her, angel. She's been looking for you too."

The tears escape and run down my cheeks as I take off running to her. She holds her arms up and I collapse into them the second we are within touch.

"Oh Aaliyah. I thought I'd never see you again," she cries.

"Mom," I cry, "You're alive."

She pulls back slightly to hold my face in her palms, "We have so much to talk about. I can't believe you're alright."

"I thought they killed you," my voice wobbles.

"I thought they killed you too," she cries, pulling me back into her arms.

Peering over her shoulder, my eyes connect with Aaron's.

You found my mom.

He nods his head. His smile bright as he watches our reunion.

I love you Aaron.

I love you too, my Angel.