Chapter 28

Aaron POV

My eyes open in shock and I struggle to slow my breathing. I'm still clutching Aaliyah in my arms on our bed.

"Aaron?" Ivy asks, worried.

Ignoring her question, I sit up straight against the headboard. I rub my thumbs over my angel's cheeks as I wait for her to open her eyes.

"Come on, angel," I coo to her, hoping she'll open her eyes again. I carried her through that door. I know she trusts me. Now I just need her to wake up.

"Aaron, did you get her to come out? Did she choose it?" Ivy questions.

"I got her through the door," I say, bypassing the question. She trusted me to carry her out, but I'm not actually sure it would be considered her choice.

It didn't matter though. I wasn't going to leave her there.

Kiba growls deeply as the memories of what I saw in her mind flashes over my vision. The anger I felt as I watched that doctor cut into rolls through my skin. Kiba pushes at me to shift so we can go hunt down that doctor.

No, I growl out before ordering him to back down, Our mate needs us now. We will hunt down the doctor later.

Aaliyah's whimpers breaks my conversation with my wolf. I focus my attention back down on to her.

"Angel," I try again.

No, I hear her soft whine in my head.

"It's okay, angel. You're safe now. Just open yours eyes," I move to touch her cheek once more when her eyes snap open.

The next second feels like an eternity as I watch terror flood her deep chocolate irises.

She pushes against my chest, fighting against my hold.

No! She yells in her head.

I keep my arms tight around her, but the more she fights my hold, the more I start to worry if I'm hurting her.

"Angel, it's me. You're safe," I tell her.

No! Let me go! Let me go!

You're safe, I try again over our bond. I'm hoping since she's not blocking me from hearing her, she'll let me in.

She shakes her head adamantly, No. He's not real. He's lying. I'm never safe. Never safe.

"Oh angel," I breath out as I feel tears start to push at my eyes. I kiss her forehead and pull her into my chest, resting my chin on top of her head, "I've never lied to you. I'll never lie to you. You are safe."

She pushes against my hold again, Don't trust him. He's not on my side.

I open my mouth to refute, but nothing comes out. I don't know how to reach her. She's withdrawing more into herself every moment and I don't know how to connect with my mate to bring her back to me.

I may have woken her up from the sharing, but did I truly bring her back to me?

I see my mom move out of the corner of my eye, "Aaliyah, you're safe here."

She moves closer, but the second she comes into view of my mate, Aaliyah starts to screech.

Her screams tear into me as she tries to force her body to be as far away from my mother as possible. My dad pulls mom back from us and I repeat small shushing sounds in Aaliyah's ear to calm her.

The closer I hold her though, the more she fights me, repeating in her mind that I'm not trustworthy and that she's not safe.

I look over to my father, What do I do?