Chapter 38

Aaliyah POV

"No," I whimper as the doctor's words rattle around in my head, "No."

I feel my mind draw away from Aaron's. The second the connection drops, I feel the searing pain across my shoulder from where Aaron connected to the silver bars.

"Stay still, Aaliyah. I'm healing you as fast as I can," Zea tells me as she runs her hands against my burned skin.

"They have him," I whimper lowly, my thoughts not even on my wound, "They are going to hurt Aaron."

I'm fine, angel, he snaps the connection back as he joins me in my head this time.

"No."

"Aaliyah, you need to relax," Zea tries again.

"Aaron."

"Is he here?" she asks me.

I nod my head. I can feel him trying to comfort me as best he can, but I can also feel a twinge of fear floating between us. I'm not truly sure who it belongs to, me or him.

I'm going to get out, angel. I promised I would come home and I will, he argues as I feel him push down the fear until I can't reach it.

But-

No buts angel. I don't make promises I can't keep. You know that.

I feel my head nodding in agreement before I register the movement. He's right though. He doesn't break promises and it's the first part of him that made me trust him, and trusting him is how I fell in love with him.

I love you too, he sighs with such conviction in his tone, I can never question his feelings.

"Is Aaron safe?" I hear Jacob ask from across the room. I'm still laying flat on a bed staring at a white ceiling, so I'm not actually sure where he is standing.

"No," I say.

Yes, Aaron calls out at the same time. Luckily, his voice is only in my head, so no one accepts his answer, Say it anyway, angel. Please.

I want to roll my eyes at him, "Aaron says he is."

"How did they capture him?"

Aaron relays the story to me and I repeat it to his parents, "They have him in a cell. The doctor said that he's scheduled for surgery. They are going to cut into him."

"It's not going to come to that," Zea says before Aaron can even butt his head in, "Aaron laid down a great infiltration plan and Zach and Thatcher know it. They have Phoenix too, and they'll get him out."

"But not before he gets hurt."

I'm going to do my best to not let that happen.

But you can't guarantee it, I argue, even knowing it's not fair to ask for him to try to.

I hear Kiba purr in a soothing manner back and Aiya responds immediately, the both of them keeping us calm.

"Does he know what's blocking the pack connection? Is it a spell or something?" Jacob asks.

"What do you mean?"

"Zach and Thatcher have been calling out to him for hours over the pack bond and he hasn't responded, but he can still connect with you."

"It must be the drug Phoenix described when he was rescued. He said it cut off a shifter from his animal spirit, so he couldn't talk," Zea chips in.

"But Aaron shifted," I speak up, "I saw it when I was in his head."

It's our bond. I think it's fighting off the drug, Aaron tries and I repeat the theory a loud.

"The sharing bond makes you completely connected," Zea says softly, "No drugs can break you two."

I give her a small smile as I feel Aaron. We are completely bonded. Completely connected.

My mate.

Mine.

He makes me want to smile widely and if the situation wasn't what is is, I would.

"Does he know where he is?" Jacob asks, changing the subject.

Yes. Tell Zach it's one of the back buildings facing the woods. I can see the top of the trees through an overhead window.

"He says he's in one of the back building near the woods. But Dr. Anderson said that he was going to surgery. They might move him."

"The boys will get him," Jacob reassures me as I hear him move across the room to hold my hand, "He'll be back before you know it and he will be bringing you home."

Bringing you home? Aaron questions.

"What?" I shake my head a bit confused as I try to move to sit up, but Zea's hands stop me.

"Don't move Aaliyah," she orders me, pushing me back.

Why? Where are we, angel? Aaron growls in my head as he looks through my eyes.

"Why?" my voice is quiet and I'm starting to fear the answer.

"There was too much blood and the wound was too deep for me to heal, Aaliyah. I had to bring you to the pack hospital," she explains.

"H-Hos-pit-" my body shakes so hard I can't even finish the word. I can feel my lungs collapse in chest and I start to hyperventilate.

Angel, shh. It's okay. You're safe, Aaron tries.

"No. No," my panic is rising.

I'm right here, Angel. Right here.

"No you're not," I argue, "You aren't here."

I know, his voice sounds as if he is breaking, but I will be. Our pack is safe as so is the doctor there. You are my life and I trust our pack with you. Please, angel.

Ever word he says calms me and my wolf just a little bit more, but my anxiety over the hospital is still off the charts. Aaron just keeps repeating soft sentiments into my head.

I can't do this without you here. I need you here. I know my plea is needy on so many levels, but Aaron is the only one who keeps me calm and keeps my demons away. He protects me from my past and doesn't allow any harm to come to me. I don't trust without him.

My angel, he whispers. I feel him move closer, but he stops. My eyes widen in shock as his pain screams through my body. Aaron's grip loosens and I feel him slip through my fingers.