Chapter 27

Aaliyah POV

I wake in a cold sweat. Shivering from the feeling of the damp cement below me, I push up off the ground. I feel my muscles scream against me, but I still manage to sit forward.

No, I think to myself as I realize what I've just done. I'm strong enough to sit myself up, then I'm strong enough to go through surgery again.

I can't do this again.

My eyes move to the metal door as it creaks open. Dr. Anderson comes waltzing into the room with his sadistic smile breaking his lips.

"I see you've healed nicely," he smiles down at me, "Your surgery is scheduled for an hour."

I shake my head no as I try to fight back against the orderlies that walk in behind him. But it's no use. I have no real strength to fight any more.

The men throw my onto a wheeled patient slab and start to cart me towards the surgical room. I scream out, pleading at them to stop this, to not cut into me again.

But my words fall on deaf ears as I'm moved again and strapped down. I hear Anderson saying something about where to start, but all I hear is the buzzing of my heartbeat monitor.

I scream as the silver metal scalpel penetrates my skin over and over again. I scream and beg and plead for them to stop, to let me die.

As the blackness creeps into my vision, I pray to any god listening that this will be the moment. I pray that I never wake up again.

My prayers are ignored.

I wake up.

*****

Every moment I wake up, it's the same moments over and over again.

I wake in my small cement cell with just enough energy to lift myself up. Fear floods through me as I realize I'm starting to heal.

The doctor and orderlies drag me from the room and take me to surgery. They cut into me again while I scream for them to stop. I beg for death, only to be denied.

I hear the buzzing of my heartbeat stop and the darkness welcome me.

But it doesn't last. The doctors shock my heart. They bring me back. They deny my wish for death all so they can continue their experiments.

I will never be fear.

*****

I hear a soft creak of the metal door nudging open. Peeling my eyes open, I see a pair of dark shoes invade my vision before the person kneels down next to me.

"Angel," he whispers, his tone pleading with me. For what, I'm not sure.

I try to move, but the pain is too much. I also know what will happen if the doctors catch me moving. No more surgeries.

"Angel, please. You have to get up," he tries again. His voice is so soothing and sweet. The deep masculine tone flitters against my memory like I know who it belongs to, but his name is just out of reach.

"Come on, Angel. I'm going to get you out of here," he tries again. Now I know this isn't real. He's not real.

"Not real," my words barely break through the stifling air of the cement cell.

"I'm very real, Aaliyah. I need you to get up," his hands move to help move sit up. His hand turns my cheek so our eyes meet.

Looking into his gaze, I'm met with a deep chocolate gaze of a beautiful man.

"We need to get out of here."

He tries to lift me up, but I push against him, "No. This is a trick."