Chapter 39

Aaron POV

The shock of the electricity running through my veins snaps me away from my mate's mind. My vision is a blur as a dark shapes looms in front of the bars of my cell.

"It's curious," his slithery voice echos off the stone, "You not only shifted, but you are talking to someone."

I grit my teeth as the charge continues to shatter my cells one by one.

"Now that drug cocktail is my creation, tested against almost every known species of shifter, even a lycan. It blocks a shifter from the animals they are. Even keeps the creatures from connecting with their magic. But your different."

"Fuck off," I growl, not willing to give this dick anything, especially if it might lead back to Aaliyah.

He signals for the guard to stop shocking me and chuckles at my response , "You've got spirit. It's cute, but it won't last long. I'm only going to ask you this once before I cut you open. Why is the drug not working on you?"

I seal my lips in answer.

He nods his head an acceptance, "Very well. I'll find out during surgery. I'm looking forward to cutting you open."

He turns toward a group of men standing next to him wearing scrubs.

"Get him prepped. I start cutting within the hour."

They zap me another time before I feel a needle get jabbed into my arm and a sedative start to take affect. I feel my body collapse into itself.

I sense Aaliyah trying to push back into my head, but my mind isn't cooperating. I reach out to her, but our finger slip past one another and I'm out like a light.

*****

I wake to the beeping of machines around me. My mind is hit with deja vu. The doctors walking around us, the machines making noise, and my body strapped to a surgical table.

This is what Aaliyah went through. This is how she was continually tortured.

I feel Aaliyah push into my mind.

You're finally awake, she sighs as she takes in our surroundings and I feel her fear take over both our senses, No.

"I'm afraid so," Dr.Anderson says. I didn't even realize Aaliyah's word left my mouth, "I figured I'd give you one more chance to fess up before I start cutting. How are you able to circumvent my drug?"

"Go to hell," I order, hoping the devil hears me and drags him there himself.

"Very well then," he smiles before turning to another man wearing dark blue scrubs, "Start the external exam."

The man walks over to my body with a pair of scissors in hands.

They are going to look at your skin. They'll see our mating mark, Aaliyah comments.

I feel the cold metal of the scissors as he cuts away my T-shirt. Stripping it off, the doctor starts to take notes on each scar on my skin. I watch his reaction as he sees the intricate mating mark running from my shoulder and down my body.

"You're mated," he notes allowed, "Interesting. Is your mate the one you are still able to communicate with?"

"Fuck off."

"I'll take that as a yes," he scribbles something into his notes, "It is interesting, but doubtful to be the reason. I had a mated lycan and the drug still was able to effect him."

He runs his hands down one of the scars on my arm. Aaliyah snarls in my head and my arm tries to push him away, but the restraints don't allow even an inch.

"Are you mated to another shifter, or something else?" I keep my mouth shut, "A witch might be able to counteract this drug but not from such a distance and the bond would still be blocked. Is your mate a witch?"

Maybe you should tell him.

What?! No, I won't give him anything about us or you, I growl at even the idea.

But maybe if you give him something, he won't cut into you. Zach messaged your dad and they are starting the assault within the next twenty minutes, but they won't be able to reach your building immediately. You need to stall for time, she argues.

Aaliyah- I start but I feel my mouth open and the words slip out, "Fox."

Stop doing that! I growl at my angel, I will block you completely.

No you won't, she has the balls to sass right now and if we weren't in the situation we are currently in, I would be proud of her for sticking up for what she wants. She has been so closed off and afraid for the last few years that seeing her fight makes me fall for her more.

"A fox?" He looks almost happy at the revelation, "There aren't many foxes left, actually there are nearly none. So that's leads me to believe you've found my fox."

"She's mine," I growl low.

He just starts to laugh, "When her bio-tracker went out, I assumed she was dead, but she's not. She's connected to you," he leans over me with a wicked gleam in his eyes, "Can she hear me right now?"

Aaron, Aaliyah whimpers in my head.

"I bet she can," he smiles, "Did she tell you about her surgeries? They were most successful. I learned so much from her, and now I will cut into her mate."

"I'm going to kill you," I snap.

"No, I'm going to kill you," he says back, "After the surgeries, I would shock her heart back to life. But I'm not going to do that this time. I'm going to let her feel you die, and you will stay dead."

He steps back from me.

"I'll give you a moment to tell her goodbye."

I watch as he walks out of the room.

Aaron, you have to get out. Break the restraints. Something, her voice cracks, I can't watch you die.

I'm not going to, my angel. But he is going to cut.

There has to be a way. Phoenix has taken out most of the sentries. The twins will be there soon. You have to fight.

Until the end, I will. But I can't allow you to be hurt in the process.

What are you talking about?

I feel my heart break as I realize what I have to do. I won't allow my mate to every suffer at this monster'a hands again.

We are connected. What happens to me, happens to you and you can't heal as fast. This will kill us both.

I can take it.

No, angel, I sigh, I won't let you.

I feel her mind read mine and her fear turns to heartbreak alongside me, No, Aaron you can't.

It's the only way to save you. If I die, you will live.

No! I don't want to, not like this.

Angel, it's the only way. We have to break our bond.