Chapter 32

Aaliyah POV

After we go downstairs, Aaron gives me a deep kiss and leaves for the pack cells. I sigh a small dreaming sigh as I watch him walk down the path and into the trees.

"You daydreaming about my son?" Zea whispers into my ear. I nearly jump out of my skin from not hearing her come up to me.

Then her words register and I feel the heat wash over my face, "No."

She just laughs, "It's okay. I still daydream about my mate too and we've been together for over two decades."

I smile at the thought of being with Aaron for so long. Knowing the relationship Zea and James have, I want that for Aaron and me.

"I was thinking we could go for a walk today. Just get out of the house for a while," she suggests.

I nod in agreement and throw on a pair of shoes and a light jacket before heading out the door with Zea.

We walk along the path near the center of the pack. I can see the pack house off in the distance and I can hear the familiar sound of wolves running somewhere in the trees.

"I love the beautiful colors of fall," Zea says from next to me, her arm locked in mine as we stroll. The bright oranges and yellows of the leaves surround us and the scene reminds me of living in Europe with my mom, "You know if you ever want to talk, I will always listen. I know you've been having a lot of trouble after going through the sharing, but you're not alone. When James and I went through the sharing, there was a lot about my past that hurt to relive, but it reminded me that my mate would always be there for me, good and bad."

I turn to her, shocked that the perfect woman in front of me was ever fearful of the world. The words tumble out of my mouth before I can stop them, "It reminded me how broken I am."

She yanks on my arm, causing us both to come to a stop, "What?"

"I'm sorry. I just meant-" I try to apologize, but she cuts me off.

"Aaliyah, you aren't broken," she makes the statement as if she has never spoken truer words, but I know the truth, "Oh, Angel. You really believe that, don't you?"

I shrug my shoulders, "I broke a long time ago."

I look out towards the fields so I don't have to watch her face fall. I know if I look I'll see the pity there and my heart can't take that.

"What about Aaron?" she asks, "What does he say?"

I feel my lips lift up in a small smile, "He said if I'm broken, he'll put me back together again."

She laughs at her sons words.

"I think he may be right," the words break through the light breeze blowing by us.

"Why?"

I shrug my shoulders again, "I don't feel so broken anymore, and I know it's because of him. Aaron puts me back together."

She's hugging me before I even know she moved to put her arms around me. I lean into her as I feel the familiar feeling of being in a mom's arms.

I feel the thoughts of my mom float around my head. I want to believe more than anything that she's out there somewhere, but my life has taught me the hard truth that it's just false hope.

After a few moments, she pulls back, "I'm so happy that Aaron is what will heal you from your past. It's what mates do."

"Your mate healed you?"

"Yes. I was a lot like you when I first came to this pack."

"Afraid of the world?" I ask.

"Yes and no," she answers honestly, "I was in hiding. Not from hunters, but from other shifters."