Gaara of the Sand

"Oh, hello, Shikamaru."

"Hey, Mashi" he nodded to her and she looked at the blonde lying in the bed.

"Still asleep" she noted and the boy sighed with a nod.

"Yeah and I'm still waiting for this dunce to open his eyes. What a drag..." Shikamaru mumbled and she chuckled, sitting down.

"Want to play Shogi?"

"I don't know how to play."

"I'll teach you. It's better than playing by myself" he said, pulling the Shogi board out and placing the pieces down.

He explained the game as they went along and by their fifth match, it was obvious she didn't have the Shogi gene or whatever it was called that made Shikamaru so good at it.

"This is idiotic, stupid" she muttered with a twitch of her lip as they moved on to the sixth match, Shikamaru obviously pleased at her short outbursts.

"It takes some time, but eventually, it's not so bad."

"So will I ever be able to beat you?" She asked.

"Probably not" he answered and she sighed.

"I knew it. You're too smart. Is this why Asuma Sensei always loses?" She asked and he nodded, supremely pleased at the mention of beating his own Sensei.

"Still," He said, his smile falling as he glanced back at Naruto, "is he ever gonna wake up? Maybe the kid croaked."

"Think he'd wake up if we brought Ichiraku?" Mashi suggested.

"Worth a shot" Shikamaru said and Mashi turned, but paused upon hearing Shikamaru. 

"Huh? The sand stopped. Did they forget to wind it or something? What a drag."

She turned her head back around curiously, spying that the sand had indeed stopped.

"Oh, Naruto, you're awake" she said and the two watched as he looked over at them.

"So, you finally decided to wake up, huh?" Shikamaru grinned at him.

"Where am I? What is this?" Naruto asked, looking around curiously.

"The hospital. They said you'd been out cold like this for three days straight" the black haired boy explained and Naruto gazed at the ceiling for a moment.

"Three days....THREE DAYS STRAIGHT?!" He yelled, jumping up and standing on the mattress with wide eyes, surprising his two friends.

"U-uh, yeah, more or less..."

"Shikamaru! Mashi! When does the final competition begin?!"

"Tomorrow" Shikamaru answered.

"WHAT?!" Naruto shrieked, grabbing the two by the collar of their outfits, shaking them vigorously. "Are you crazy?! Why the heck didn't you wake me up sooner?! I can't be lying around here at a time like this! I've gotta be getting ready! And pervy sage! Where's pervy sage?! That old nut is supposed to be supervising my training!"

"Hey! Calm down, kid, get a grip! I don't know what you're talking about" Shikamaru said as Naruto released them, Mashi trying to focus her eyes as her head spun wildly.

"Agh! My clothes! Where are my clothes?! I gotta get dressed! Where'd they put 'em?! Where are my clothes?! Oh COME ON, where are they?!" Naruto shrieked, wildly searching the room and Mashi raised her brows.

"This kid gives me such a headache....I like him a lot better when he was in a coma" Shikamaru sighed. "WOULD YOU KNOCK IT OFF?!"

Naruto paused at the sudden shout.