The Rookies Together Again

As the group of four walked down the hall to the real room 301, they stopped upon seeing Kakashi standing at the door.

"Glad you came, Sakura. For your sake and the others" Kakashi said.

Their heads tilted in confusion.

"Now you can all formally register for the chunin exams."

"Why? What do you mean?" Sakura asked.

"You see, the chunin exams require all members to participate" Kakashi clarified.

"But, Sensei, you said it was up to the individual" she pointed out.

"I did" he nodded.

"Was that a lie?" She asked.

"Sort of" Kakashi shrugged. "It is an individual decision, but it affects the whole group. I just didn't want the others pressuring you. On the other hand, I didn't want you to feel obliged because of any feelings you might have for Sasuke. I wanted you to have come to the decision of your own free will."

"Wait, Sensei, you're saying if the others had come, but I didn't...?"

"It would have been the end of the line. I couldn't have let the others in" Kakashi confirmed, but his tone became lighter. "But you're all here for the right reasons. Sakura, Naruto, Sasuke, and Mashi."

Each child smiled at that.

"I'm proud of you. I couldn't ask for a better team. Good luck" Kakashi smiled, stepping out of the way.

"We won't let you down, Sensei, believe it!" Naruto smiled.

"We'll do our best" Mashi agreed.

They stepped inside and were surprised to see how many ninja, young and old, were inside.

"Gee...I didn't think we'd have so much competition..." Sakura murmured.

"Sasuke! Where have you been?"

Mashi jumped a bit at the sudden exclamation and turned to see Ino with her arms wrapped around Sasuke's neck from behind.

"Boy, you have no idea how much I was hoping you'd show up here. I've missed those broody good looks of yours" she said, her tone somewhat flirty.

"Hey, back off, porker, he's mine!" Sakura pointed angrily.

Porker?

"Miss forehead, they let you in? Still got those frown lines on your billboard brow, I see" the blonde said.

Billboard brow?

"Leave my forehead out of it!" Sakura snapped and Ino spied a shy Mashi standing behind Sakura, waving quietly.

Ino nodded and smiled back, Sakura looking between the two before she stepped in the middle, glaring at Ino.

"Mashi, it's probably be best to stay away from Ino pig, or else you might become just as idiotic as she is" Sakura sneered and Ino immediately settled into a furious look.

"Like you have room to talk. There's more air behind that big forehead than there is brain!"

"Oh, it's you guys" Shikamaru stepped up with Choji, who was currently snacking and Mashi looked away from the argument to the boys.

"I knew this way going to be a drag, but I never thought it'd be this lame" he said.

"Wow. All three stooges are here" Naruto commented.

"Hey, you know, pipsqueak—ah, forget it. You're a waste of time" Shikamaru clicked his tongue.

"Well, well, well, look what the cat dragged in" a boy with red face markings wearing a fur laced hood walked up.

"Oh, hi, Naruto" a girl with the same lavender eyes as the boy on Lee's team greeted.

Her hair was dark and short, but it reminded Mashi of a duckling's tail. Though when Naruto looked at her, the girl's blush deepened to a shade of dark red.

The last boy on the three man squad wore a coat covering the lower half of his face and wore round, dark tinted glasses.

"Hey, you're snake girl!"

"What?" Mashi asked, looking between Kiba and Naruto.

"That's what everyone started calling you since you carry Dokuga with you" Naruto pointed out.

"Finally, someone else who can appreciate having a competent partner. This is Akamaru" Kiba pointed to the puppy sitting atop his head, Akamaru wagging his tail and giving a yap in greetings.

"This is Dokuga. It's a pleasure to meet you" Mashi introduced her snake, who tilted her head from her pocket before slinking back in.

"Do you two have any Jutsu's?"

"I have a few, yes."

"What? You don't use Dokuga?" Kiba asked and Mashi quirked a brow. 

"I don't really understand—why would I use Dokuga?" She inquired and Kiba scoffed.

"Because you're partners, am I right? Me and Akamaru never go anywhere without each other, even into battle."

"I see..." Mashi murmured, self conscious reaching into her pocket.

Why hadn't she ever thought of using Dokuga as a battle partner as well? That would've been smart, especially since Dokuga was with her at all times.

"Not everyone has the brain of a dog too."

"What?!" Kiba snapped as the boy beside him with glasses, his name being...Shino Aburame, the name called with Kiba Inuzuka and Hinata Hyuga's the day of team placements, sighed. 

"Hey, you guys" a man, about 19 or 20, walked towards them. "You might wanna try keeping it down a little. You're the nine rookies, right? Fresh out of the academy? I wouldn't go making a spectacle of yourselves. Just cool it. This isn't a class field trip."

"Well, who asked you? Who are you?" Ino demanded.

"I'm Kabuto Yakushi, but really, look around you. You've made quite an impression" Kabuto said.

The ten rookie genin looked around and saw the entire room staring at them.

"See those guys? They're from the rain village. Very touchy. They all are" he warned. "This exam makes everyone tense and you don't want to rub them the wrong way."

Mashi turned away and saw the other ninja staring with watchful eyes. She sighed, her arm brushing against Sakura's.

The pink haired girl mimicked the motion, the two leaning against each other in a gesture of safety and comfort. Mashi could only shake her head as she glanced around the room. 

"This is going to be much harder than expected."