The Dock

"Shimi, you have to get up!"

"Mama...?"

"Now!" The woman yelled, her magenta hair fading to a pale, yet vibrant purple.

Her eyes were frantic, grabbing Mashi by the arm and yanking her from the bed and immediately, Mashi smelled smoke and saw that the light from the hallway wasn't a lightbulb.

It was fire.

"Ruroko, Shimi. Where are you?"

"Dad—" Mashi called, but her mother clapped a hand over her mouth, standing still, yet shaking.

"There you are!"

"Mama loves you, Shimi. Always and forever—"

"But daddy can get us out, why are you—"

Mashi shot up, sweating heavily as she clutched the blankets between her fingers, her body trembling.

There was a knock on the door that made her flinch and for a moment, she couldn't speak, but the one behind the door did.

"Mashi, it's time for breakfast."

"O...okay" she forced her voice steady, but she knew it had failed.

"Can I come in?"

"Um...sure..." she nodded and the door quietly swung open, Kakashi standing there, concern evident in his dark eye, surprisingly already ready to leave for the day.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, just a strange dream" she shook her head and tried to smile, but she could tell he didn't buy it, unfortunately for her.

"Nightmare is what you mean, right?" Kakashi asked and she squeezed the blankets tighter, nodding.

He stepped inside and cautiously walked to sit on the end of her bed, the two staring at one another for a moment before he spoke, almost unsure of what to say.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He inquired, but Mashi shook her head. "No, it's alright. I was just startled. I'll be out for breakfast" she said and he sighed a little.

"It's not good to keep things in, you know. But if you're alright—"

Mashi hung her head, looking at Dokuga as he spoke.

"I said I was fine. Nightmares are nothing more than what exists in your head. That reverse psychology doesn't work on me, Kakashi Sensei" she muttered, placing the snake aside and standing up.

She walked to the closet, grabbing a fresh outfit and walking out to the bathroom, locking the door behind her and breathing out a deep sigh of relief as her body began to tremble, her fists clenching tightly as she held the fabric between her hands.

She shook her head and got dressed, unbraiding her hair and brushing it out before pulling it into the usual bun and tail, brushing her teeth and stepping out. She made her way to the table, breakfast already set out for her and she sat down, quietly giving her thanks before taking a bite of the fish.

"It's good. Thank you."

"You're welcome" Kakashi said, glancing at her.

It was obvious whatever she had a nightmare about had gotten to her. He already knew it was most likely about Edagakure, but once again, they had backtracked, Mashi returning to her quiet ways that she had just begun to shake off.

"Have any plans for today?"

She shook her head.

"Why not go see Sakura or Sasuke? I'm sure they're free too" Kakashi commented.

"I'll stay here. The others don't like me very much."

"I'm certain Sakura, Sasuke, and Naruto like you. They're your friends, aren't they?" He pointed out, but she looked up. "I meant the villagers. Everyone else" she clarified.

"They're wary. I know it's to be expected since I'm an outsider, but they all glance at me weirdly. The shopkeepers and those at the market are always on edge. I don't like going out" Mashi muttered, taking a sip of the hot tea that left a bitter taste, though she found it enjoyable despite the bitter quality.

"You're still new here, Mashi. Every village is wary of outsiders, especially since they could be spies. But you're not a spy and the three troublemakers don't think you're bad, now, do they?" Kakashi asked and Mashi shook her head. "No, they don't" she admitted, the man pointing at her with his chopsticks.

"Then you have no reason to hide."

She nodded and carried her empty dishes to the sink, washing and drying them, putting it with the others and turning.

"I might have a walk around. Not much else. I don't want to bother the others" Mashi said, stepping out of the kitchen and sitting down, slipping her feet into her black sandals.

She stood up and opened the door, pausing.

"Thanks, Kakashi Sensei."

"Anytime" he waved, watching her shut the door, her footsteps fading away.

Mashi bounded down the steps, glancing around before choosing to walk the left path, one that would take her through a less crowded part of the village.

"We still haven't explored all of the village. Though...let's see if he's there—at the dock" Mashi said, Dokuga resting quietly in her pocket.

She walked through the alleyways, taking the quickest way she knew until she arrived at a compound, a red and white emblem painted on the walls, though they were faded.

She stepped inside and quietly, moved through the streets. She gazed at the emptiness of the shops and the homes, the shattered glass and splintered wood, looking away as she spotted a lingering bloodstain the rain hadn't bothered to wash away after going through several years without use.

She finally came to her intended spot, finding a still pond with an old dock, a raven haired boy sitting there, his feet dangling over the edge.

"Do you mind if I join you?"

He looked over his shoulder, Mashi standing only a step behind the wooden planks, awaiting his permission.

"Whatever."

She came to stand beside him before sitting, her feet inches away from the still water.

"Did you need something? How'd you know where I was?" Sasuke asked and Mashi shook her head.

"I just guessed, but I just wanted to come and see you" she said and Sasuke glanced at her, pausing mid bite of his sandwich as he quirked a dark brow, causing her face to turn red.

"No—no—no! I didn't mean like that! I just wanted to spend time with a friend—!" She yelled, waving her arms wildly.

Her face turned an even deeper shade as she knocked the sandwich from his hand, Sasuke sighing as it sunk within the clear water.

"I-I'm sorry—I can buy you lunch, how about that?" Mashi offered.

"Fine. Meet me at the gates."

"Are you going somewhere?" Mashi asked as he gazed at her for a moment, her thumbs flicking over one another with nervousness. "Sorry...I'll just meet you at the gates—"

"Go pick up some flowers" Sasuke said out of the blue and she raised her brows curiously.

"Flowers?" She repeated.

"You did just ruin my lunch" he nodded to the water and she laughed guiltily.

"Yes, I guess I did" she admitted before nodding. 

"Alright, I'll be right back."