The Curse Mark and an Avenger

Mashi couldn't help but tremble a little as the malicious aura swept over her like some terrible dark wave.

This wasn't her friend. This was a much darker and evil presence. Even her eyes could tell.

The warmth of his body soared to a fiery red, stunning her.

"Mashi" Sasuke said.

He had fiery like markings spreading across his arm and even to the top of his ear before crawling across his face and the rest of his body, fading to black. His Sharingan had activated as well, making him look all the more dangerous.

Sasuke looked to the girl closest to him.

She was the one that had helped awaken him. She looked tired and even more exhausted than normal. That was to be expected, especially after using her own chakra to help him and Naruto. There was something different about her, however.

Her eyes.

They had snake like pupils, but her eyes had grown slightly puffy and red. She had tear trails running down her face.

Tears.

Didn't he promise to himself he didn't want to see her cry at some point? So why...?

"Mashi...why are you crying?"

Mashi swallowed thickly, unsure of what to say.

"Why are you crying? Who made you cry?" He repeated. "Who hurt Sakura? Who hurt you?"

"Sasuke...what's going on with you?" Mashi asked instead.

He raised her fist and opened it, staring at his arm for a moment. He finally put it back down.

"Don't worry, I'm alright. It's only the power flowing through me. In fact, I've never felt better. He gave me this gift and he made me understand what I am. I'm an avenger. To follow my path, I must have power at any price, even if it means I must be consumed by evil" Sasuke stated ominously and Mashi's eyes widened at the mention of that curse mark upon his neck.

He stepped out, his head held high as a determined look rested on his face.

"Mashi, tell me. Who hurt Sakura? Who made you cry?" Sasuke repeated once more.

"That'd be me" Zaku proudly spoke up.

Sasuke blinked, his eyes focused on Zaku out of the corner of his eyes. He swung his head towards him, his body spinning as well. 

As he glared, the markings grew and spread further.

"Dosu! What's wrong? You aren't getting cold feet, are you?" Zaku asked the man with bandages.

"No! Zaku! You don't understand!" Dosu tried to warn him.

"Watch this! I'll take care of the bunch of 'em in one fell swoop! Super sonic slicing wave!" Zaku held his hands up.

Mashi grabbed Sakura and squeezed her eyes tightly.

"Heh! What do you know? Blew 'em all away!" Zaku said.

"Not quite."

Mashi opened her eyes and saw Sasuke swing his arm. With little effort, Zaku was thrown back.

"Fire style! Phoenix Flower Jutsu!" Sasuke made fast hand signs, sending multiple fireballs at once.

"Try this!" Zaku yelled.

He used his sound based jutsu, but as the flames were extinguished, the shuriken hidden within kept flying.

"Zaku! Get down!" Dosu tried to warn.

Sasuke vanished and reappeared behind Zaku. He forced the man to his knees, one foot pressed into his back while he yanked Zaku's arms behind his back.

A malicious grin grew on Sasuke's face, making Mashi shiver.

This was definitely not her friend.

"You seem to be very proud of these arms of yours. You must be very attached to them" Sasuke said, sinister notions laced within.

He pressed harder on Zaku's back, pulling his arms in the opposite direction. Zaku cried out as his bones were popped out of place, soon followed by several loud cracks.

Sasuke turned his eyes and grin to Dosu.

"It looks like you're the only one left" he stated. "I hope you make things more interesting than your friend did." 

Sasuke began walking towards him and Mashi shook her head.

Who was this? This wasn't Sasuke Uchiha. This was someone far more cold blooded, someone much more darker than Sasuke Uchiha who made sure to place fresh flowers upon his parents graves faithfully.

"NO! STOP!"

Sakura rushed towards him and hugged him from behind, stopping him in his tracks.

"Don't do it! Please!" Sakura begged and for a moment, a few of his markings seemed to twitch.

"Let go."

"Don't let go."

Sasuke swiveled his head towards Mashi, who crawled from the shelter, standing on her two feet with a horrified gaze as she looked at him, the curse marking upon his features and skin, the cold gaze he carried that looked even more glacial compared to any other day.

"Don't kill him, please, don't hurt him or kill him. Just stop, Sasuke" Mashi quietly said.

Her eyes returned to normal, the thin pupil disappearing, leaving a fearful behind with matching looks scrawled across her face.

"I don't like you like this. I don't like you. I-I want my Sasuke back, not you."

For a moment, his stare seemed to pierce her and the next, his eyes seemed to soften, the frost melting away as he realized wasn't crying because she was in pain.

She was crying because of him.

So much so that she truly didn't believe he was the same being in the same body. Her shivers and her tears, her quiet pleas were over what he was doing, what was happening to him.

The marks receded and Sasuke began to fall, though Sakura caught him.

Mashi looked up as Dosu raised his earth scroll.

"You're strong, Sasuke. Too strong. We can't hope to defeat you the way you are now."

He set it down on the ground.

"I'll make a deal. I'll give you this scroll and you let us go" Dosu offered, walking towards Zaku and lifting him,

"It seems we underestimated you, but we now know what we needed to know," he also picked up Kin, "for now, we're even. If we ever happen to cross paths again, I promise you, we won't run or hide."

"Wait! Who is this Orochimaru anyways?!" Sakura yelled. "What's he done to Sasuke?! And why Sasuke?!"

"I don't know. All I know is we were told to target Sasuke and we did" Dosu replied.

He turned and seemed to talk more to himself.

"I don't know why he'd send us to assassinate someone who he bestowed such power. I don't know why Sasuke even survived the curse mark...there are many things I don't know..." he said quietly.

Ino, Shikamaru, and Choji ran to help out the group as well as Lee.

Mashi looked to Sasuke, who had gripped his wrist with his hand.

"Just...what am I...?" He murmured to himself.

She walked towards him and he looked up at her.

She sighed with relief upon seeing his dark, charcoal eyes, reaching out and holding his face between her hands, almost examining him to be sure he was alright. 

"You are a wonderful friend who used his newfound powers to save his own friends. Thank you, Sasuke. For everything."