A Talk at the Dock

"Please, Lady Tsunade, you have to let me go!"

Mashi was on her knees, gripping the desk the female Hokage sat behind.

"No, Mashi, you know that" Lady Tsunade shook her head.

"I'm all better now! My probation ends in a week anyways, what's a little short cut? It's only one mission" she begged, blinking several times as if to show she was alright.

"I've never seen her so ready to go on a mission" Naruto said.

"Me neither" Sakura agreed.

"It's only an escort mission" Mashi whined.

"That can turn dangerous in the blink of an eye. You know what the doctor said. You use too much chakra before your body is ready and you'll-"

"I'll be fine, Lady Tsunade. My chakra is strong again and the doctor said I can go on mission" Mashi interrupted.

She hadn't told her friends the detrimental consequences of using too much chakra. They'd never let her do anything on a mission ever again!

"Simple missions. This is not just a simple mission. My final answer is no" Tsunade grit her teeth.

Mashi stared back with the same challenge in her eyes, opening her mouth.

Tsunade raised her fingers to Mashi and flicked her forehead. The girl stood up, clutching the stinging spot.

"This is not up for discussion, young lady. This is an order from your Hokage" she commanded and Mashi sighed. 

"Yes, ma'am" she finally relented.

She turned and lined up with her teammates. 

For once, she was scowling.

She merely stared at the floor and she had to listen to the details of the mission before being dismissed.

She walked out, her normally quiet footsteps thundering down the halls.

One week! She only had one week left! She couldn't skip seven days of rest after a whole two months?! It was infuriating!

She walked down to the dock, a small place she liked to go when her thoughts were in disarray. It was quiet and peaceful, a place where no one went. Her own special place when she didn't feel like walking to the forest.

She sat on the wooden planks, looking out over the pond with clear waters.

"It isn't fair..." she murmured, pulling her necklace out and staring at it.

She had to be strong. In order to get strong she had to go on missions to build experience. She couldn't do that if she had to spend everyday resting!

"Life isn't fair."

She turned and saw Sasuke staring down at her.

"Hey, Sasuke" she greeted, tucking the necklace away.

He looked out across the water, almost nostalgically before sitting down next to her.

"You're such a loser. You know she wasn't going to let you go."

"Yeah. I know..."

There was a moment of silence between the two.

"What did you do anyways? Why are you going to die?" He asked.

"D-die? What the heck are you talking about?" She asked.

"Sakura and Naruto may be too useless to fill in the blanks, but I'm not. It wasn't hard" he shrugged.