The Assassin of the Mist

The journey to bringing Tazuna to his home continued after Naruto tried to show off and nearly killed a poor rabbit.

Suddenly, Kakashi yelled for them to get down and Mashi saw a large blade whirling through the air, similar to a boomerang's trajectory.

She pushed Tazuna to the ground, hitting the grassy spot as well.

The sword entered the tree, showing off its sharp blade and man landed on the handle, turning his head to look at the Shinobi and their client.

Everyone got back to their feet and the man never once moved his stare. Kakashi walked forward, however.

"Zabuza Momochi, the rogue ninja from the Village Hidden in the Mist" he said, stating the man's identity.

Naruto tried to attack, but Kakashi held his hand out.

"You're getting in the way" he said.

"What! Why'd you stop me?" Naruto asked.

"Zabuza isn't like those ninja. He's in a whole other league. If he's our opponent, I'll need this" Kakashi raised his hand to his headband.

Mashi blinked, surprised that he was going to reveal what was under that headband.

"This could be treacherous" he murmured.

"Kakashi of the Sharingan Eye...did I get that right?" The one known as Zabuza asked, but he already knew the answer.

Sasuke's eyes widened a bit and Mashi looked at him. So the Sharingan must've meant something to him. Mashi thought the name sounded familiar, but she couldn't place it. So what was it exactly?

"It's too bad, but you'll have to hand over the old man" Zabuza said in his deep, gravelly voice.

"Now, quick. Manji formation. Protect the bridge builder and stay out of this fight" Kakashi ordered. "I taught you teamwork, now use it."

Kakashi lifted the headband, but Mashi couldn't see what lay underneath it.

"I finally get to see the Sharingan in action. What an honor" Zabuza drawled.

"Agh! It's Sharingan this, Sharingan that, What is Sharingan?!" Naruto burst.

"Sharingan..." Sasuke began and Mashi looked at him. "A rare power that resides in the eyes. The user of this visual jutsu or dojutsu, can see and instantly comprehend any Genjutsu, Taijutsu, and Ninjutsu and instantly reflect the attack back in the attacker. The Sharingan is a special, rare form of dojutsu. However, there's more to the Sharingan than that. A lot more" he explained.

"You got it right, boy, but you only scratched the surface. The Sharingan can analyze any technique and then copy it down to the smallest detail" the enemy said.

Fog suddenly filled the area in a thick haze.

"As for you, Jonin, in the assassination unit of the Hidden Mist, we had a standing order to destroy you on sight. Your profile was in our bingo book. It called you the man that copied over a thousand jutsu...Kakashi, the Copy Ninja."

"Wow! That's so cool!"

Sasuke looked incredibly suspicious, putting Mashi on edge even more for some unknown reason.

"Now, it's time I exterminate the old man" Zabuza threatened, taking on an attack ready stance. At the threat, the four children immediately raced in front of Tazuna, pulling out their weapons.

"Eh? So I'll have to eliminate you first, Kakashi? So be it" Zabuza said. He and his large sword disappeared and they looked around.

"He's over there!" Naruto exclaimed. "Standing on the water!" Sakura said with disbelief. Still, no one made a move as Zabuza stood there, his arm raised straight in the air.

"Ninja Art: Hidden Mist Jutsu."

The mist enveloped the man, a single leaf falling to the water where Zabuza had once again disappeared.

"He vanished..." Naruto said.

"Sensei?" Sakura asked.

"He'll come after me first" Kakashi said, walking to stand at the waters edge.

"Who is he?" She asked.

"Zabuza Momochi, the ex leader of the Hidden mist assassination unit. He's a master of the silent killing technique."

"Silent?" Naruto asked.

"As the name suggests, the killing in an instant without sound or warning of any kind. It's so fast, you pass from this life without realizing what happened. The Sharingan cannot fully neutralize it, so. Don't. Lower. Your. Guard" Kakashi warned, making sure they understood the importance of being extremely cautious.

Mashi took a deep breath in, calming herself.

Dokuga wasn't silent nor hissing, she was seething. Her body squeezed tightly around Mashi's arm, enough so that the girl winced, shaking it and causing the snake to release, but still hissing loudly, almost daring Zabuza to come near, lest be bitten and have venom injected into his body.

"Well, if we lose, we only forfeit our lives" Kakashi said nonchalantly.

"How could you say that?!" Sakura hissed.

She didn't want to die today!

"The mist is getting thicker and thicker" Naruto noticed.

"The Land of Waves is surrounded by ocean water, the swirling mist is ever present" Tazuna commented.

"Sensei...!" Sakura said, seeing Kakashi disappearing as the mist grew thick.

The other three looked to see the same thing she did.

"Eight. Points."

"What's that?" Sakura whispered.

"Larynx, spine, lungs, liver, jugular, subclavian artery, kidneys, heart. Now...which will be my kill point?" Zabuza's voice wafted through the misty air.

A sharp gust of wind cleared the mist and Mashi looked to Kakashi, seeing her teacher standing there.

A faint aura seemed to surround him—an aura of murder. The bloodlust that filled the area began suffocating each child, but it affected the Uchiha boy more than the others. 

He trembled slightly before holding his kunai with both hands. He pointed it at himself, but a gentle touch forced him to look over, limbs shaking.

Mashi looked back at him, fearful but supportive yellow eyes staring at his onyx ones. He looked at her, still feeling suffocated by the crushing tension of bloodlust the man exuded.

"It's okay, Sasuke, because I believe Kakashi Sensei will protect us no matter what. Besides, there are four of us genin who will protect one another" she smiled softly, despite feeling the same crushing weight he did.

"Sasuke! Listen to her. I will protect each of you, even if it costs me my life" Kakashi promised.

"Let's not do anything too rash just yet" Mashi nodded.

"I wouldn't be so sure."

Zabuza appeared in the center of their four man formation. "It's over" Zabuza said.

Kakashi spun and tackled him.

Each person, including Tazuna, leaping out of the way.

Kakashi had pierced abuza with his kunai, but instead of blood, water poured onto the ground.

"A clone of water?"

"Sensei! Behind you!" Naruto pointed.

The water clone disappeared, but Zabuza stood behind Kakashi.

"Die" Zabuza yelled, swinging his weapon.

Kakashi was cut in half, but what was supposed to be Kakashi, was a water clone. And surprisingly, a kunai was placed to Zabuza's neck.

"Now, it's over."