18

Elizabeth Swann took note of a few things about Annabelle Davis in the small span of William Turner being apart from her.

Annabelle had more of an attitude, a temper, she snapped more, stomped around, did everything just more. It didn't take long for Elizabeth, or anyone really, to understand why.

William Turner was one of the only things that kept Annabelle with both feet on the ground and feeling as though she had control. William, Elizabeth and the open sea were all Annabelle had need for.

Annabelle sat on the stairs of the Pearl, the spot that seemed to always be occupied by her. She had her chin in her hand, staring at the blue sea pretending to not listen to the conversation next to her.

"William was working for Beckett and never said a word." Gibbs sighed. "Beckett wants the compass, only one reason for that."

"Of course, he wants the chest." Jack said.

"He did mention something about a chest." Elizabeth nodded.

"If the Company controls the chest, they control the sea."

"If the Company controls the chest, they control the sea." Gibbs announced and Annabelle winched at the statement.

"A truly discomforting notion, love." Jack mumbled.

"Bad! Bad for every mother's son who calls himself pirate. I think there's a bit more speed to be coaxed from these sails." Gibbs explained and headed off to command the Crew. With that Annabelle stood up and planted herself next to Elizabeth, who smiled at her.

"Might I enquire as to how you came by these." Jack questioned, holding the letters up once more.

"Persuasion."

"Friendly?"

"Decidedly not."

"Will strikes a deal for these and upholds it with honor, yet your the one standing here with the prize." Jack opened the letter, reading aloud. "Full pardon, commissioned as a privateer on behalf of England and the East India Trading Company..." The letters were put away. "As if I could be bought for such a low price."

"Jack, the letters, give them back."

"No. Persuade me."

"Jack Sparrow give her the letters back." Annabelle snapped. Jack grinned and turned to her.

"How about you persuade me?" Jack said, suggestions of all the wrong things. Annabelle fumed.

"No!" Annabelle snapped once more, slapping him. "I would like to stay loyal to William thank you very much!" Another slap and she attempted to get the letters to no victory. She sighed and stalked off.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Annabelle sat perched on her spot once again and this time Jack popped down next to the girl.

"My tremendous intuitive sense of the female creature informs me you are... troubled." Jack spoke.

"I just thought I'd be married by now. I'm so ready to be married." Annabelle sighed.

"You know..." A bottle of rum was opened. "Annie, I am Captain of a ship and being Captain of a ship I could, in fact, preform a marriage right here. On this deck; right now."

"No, thank you." Annabelle said, her face pulled into disgust and she walked away, but Jack followed.

"Why not? We are very much alike you and I. I and you... us."

"Expect for a sense of honor, decency and moral center. And personal hygiene."

"Trifles. You will come over to my side, I know it."

"You seem very certain."

"One word, love: curiosity. You long for freedom. You long to do what you want because you want it. To act on selfish impulse. You want to see what it's like. One day, you won't be able to resist."

Annabelle, despairing at the conversation needed to leave, so the one thing she did at all times happened.

"Jack Sparrow I've said it now and I'll say it again!" A slap. "I am loyal to Will!" Another. "I would never leave him for someone like you!"

She stalked off, leaving Jack to stand alone. But Annabelle walked back to deck when land was announced, meaning they were at the chest.

Closer to Will.

That is how Annabelle ended up in a life boat with Pintel and Ragetti arguing over how to pronounce Kraken.

"Guard the boat; mind the tides; don't touch my dirt."

Thankful to not hear them anymore, she followed Elizabeth as she showed them where the chest would lead them.

After some time, Elizabeth paced in circles and Annabelle laid basking in the sun, waiting for her to find it.

"This doesn't work, and it certainly doesn't show you what you want most." Elizabeth sighed and sat next to Annabelle in frustration.

"Yes it does; you're sitting on it." Jack said, looking at the compass.

"Beg pardon?" The girls said together.

"Move." Jack sighed, shoving them off before whistling to Norrington to begin his dig.

After some time, Norrington hit something solid. Everyone got up and looked into the hole; where they could see the chest sticking out.

Scrambling to pick it up they laid it out and opened the chest. Annabelle gasped as letters laid upon one another, if there was time she would've read them, but there wasn't.

Instead, her ears strained on the constant thumping of a heart in another small chest.

The heart of Davy Jones.

"It's real." Elizabeth whispered.

"You actually were telling the truth." Norrington scoffed.

"I do that quite a lot yet people are still surprised."

"We can save Will!" Annabelle exclaimed with a grin on her face.

"With good reason."

Annabelle whipped around to see none other then William Turner.