07

The next day after the storm died down Annabelle sat on a barrel as Gibbs and Will stood around her. They sailed through a foggy lagoon.

"Puts a chill in the bones how many honest sailors have been claimed by this passage." Gibbs said. Will looked at Jack as he closed the compass and Annabelle followed his gaze.

"How is it that Jack came by that compass?" Will said and turned to Gibbs. Annabelle looked up at Gibbs.

"Not a lots known about Jack Sparrow before he showed up in Tortuga with a mind to go after the treasure of Isla de Muerta. That was before I met him, back when he was Captain if the Black Pearl." Gibbs said and looked around. Annabelles eyebrows raised in slight shock and Wills eyes widen slightly.

"What?" Will said. "Failed to mention that." He added. Annabelle nodded in agreement.

"Well, he plays thing closer to the vest now. And a hard-earned lesson it was. See, three days out in the venture the first mate comes to him and says everything's a equal share. That should mean the location of the treasure, too, so Jack gives up the bearings. That night there was a mutiny. They marooned Jack on an island and left him to die, but not before he'd gone mad with the heat." Gibbs explained to them. Annabelle looked at Gibbs with more disbelief.

He'd used to work at Port Royal after all, until he left on a ship, now clearly he'd been in Tortuga.

"Ah. So that's the reason for all the...?" Will asked as he acted like Jack slightly. Annabelle giggled at him and Will smiled at her. Gibbs frowned at them.

"Reasons got nothing to do with it. Now Will and Annabelle, when a man is marooned he's given a pistol with a single shot. Well it won't do much good hunting or to be rescued. But after three weeks of starving belly and thirst, that pistol starts to look real friendly." Gibbs said and made a gun with his fingers and pointed it towards his head. "But Jack, he escaped the island, and he still has that one shot. Oh, but he won't use it though, save for one man. His mutinous first mate."

"Barbossa." Annabelle and Will said together.

"Aye." Gibbs said with a nod.

"How did Jack get off the island?" Annabelle asked.

"Well, I'll tell ye. He waded our into the shallows and there he waited three days and nights til all manner of sea creatures came and acclimated to his presence. On the fourth morning, he roped himself a couple of sea turtles, lashed em together and made a raft." Gibbs explained.

By this point they all sat on barrels looking at each other. Annabelle raised an eyebrow and Will frowned.

"He roped a couple of sea turtles?" Will asked.

"Aye, sea turtles." Gibbs replied.

"What did he use for rope?" Annabelle asked. Gibbs went to answer, but paused and frowned.

"Human hair." Jack said from behind them. They all turned to face him. "From my back." He added. Annabelle looked in disgust. "Let go of the anchor!" Jack called out to the crew.

"Let go of the anchor, sir!" The crew called back.

"Young Mr.Turner and I are to go ashore." Jack said.

"And me." Annabelle added.

"Darling, no." Jack answered.

"She can fight, you know she can." Will said. "She has a bit of a temper." He added.

Jack paused and sighed. "And young Miss.Davis." Jack said.

"Thank you." Annabelle said and grabbed her sword that was leaning on her barrel.