27

Annabelle didn't know the first thing about being a Captain. She only ever took orders, never gave them. She sat in the prison cell her Crew was in, asking everyone if they were Bill Turner.

"Bootstrap? Bill Turner?" She asked another of Davy's Crew, who laughed at her.

"Bootstrap. You know my name?" A voice asked from behind. Annabelle turned to see a man emerge from the wall.

"Yes, I know your son, Will Turner." Annabelle answered and looked at him.

"William." He laughed. "He made it, he's alive! Now he sends you to tell me that he's coming to get me!" He laughed more. "God spoons! He's on his way!"

"Yes, Will is alive. And he wants to help you." Annabelle said, looking at him with some pain.

"He can't help, he won't come."

"But you're his father." Annabelle tried.

"I know, he spoke of you. He can't come because of you."

"Me?"

"You're Annabelle."

"Yes, I'm Annabelle."

"If Jones be slain, he who slays him must take his place, Captain forever. The Dutchman must always have a Captain. If he saves me, he loses you." Bill explained and Annabelle was pained.

Will wanted them both, but could only have one. "I see."

"He won't pick me. I wouldn't pick me. Tell him not to come. Tell him to stay away. It's too late, I'm already part of the ship."

"Bootstrap."

"You know my name!"

Annabelle looked at him with confusion. "Yes, I know your son."

"William! He's coming, wait and see, he promised."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Annabelle didn't know how long she had been in the cell, but she didn't feel like counting. The cell door was unlocked and they looked up, seeing James opening it. "Come with me." Annabelle didn't move. "Quickly!" Annabelle gave a nod and her men rushed out.

"What are you doing?" She questioned.

"Choosing a side." James told her before leading them out to the back of the ship where ropes led to her ship. "Do not go to Shipwreck Cove. Beckett knows of the meeting of the Brethren, I fear there may be a traitor among them."

"It's too late to earn my forgiveness." Annabelle told him, looking at her Crew climbing the ropes.

"I had nothing to do with your mother's death. That doesn't absolve me of my other sins."

Annabelle stopped for a moment. "Come with us. James, please."

"Who goes there?" A voice called out.

James turned towards her. "Go. I will follow."

"You best not be lying." Annabelle said before climbing into the ropes. She took a breath before scooting across the rope.

She let out a scream as the rope came falling and made contact with water. She looked up to see James being stabbed and felt guilt.

Another man she allowed to die.

Another man who would be on her mind.