04

Annabelle Davis, William Turner, and Jack Sparrow came to a halt beneath a bridge just before the sea. Annabelle swore it was calling her name just as her mother did when she was a small child, telling her it was supper time. She was the Dauntless, the very ship she and Elizabeth were on when they met William.

"We're going to steal that ship?" William asked, pointing towards it.

"Commandeer. We're going to commandeer that ship; nautical term." Jack corrected. He paused for a moment before looking back. "One question, lad. This girl, how far are you willing to go to save her?"

William glanced to Annabelle before looking back at the pirate. "I'd die for her:"

"No worries then!" Jack grinned and continued on.

Annabelle wasn't sure why he had asked, why he was so happy, or if they could even trust him, but she followed anyway. He was the closest thing Annabelle had to get her friend back, she had to take the chance.

The trio hid under a row-boat, allowing them to stay hidden while going through the water and provide an air pocket.

Annabelle struggled to stay afloat, feet barely touching the sand below her, gasping for air as her mouth went below with every step.

Will glanced back at her. "Annabelle, put your arms on my shoulders to support yourself."

Annabelle did as he said. "Thank you, Will." She took a deep breath, smiling as her heartbeat returned to normal. "How much farther, Jack?"

The man shrugged. "A few more paces? We're close."

He was correct. They climbed aboard the large ship and Jack drew his sword. "Everyone stay calm! We are taking over this ship!"

Annabelle and Will stayed behind his back, drawing their own swords.

The crew stopped before laughing, and one said, "This ship cannot be crewed by two men and a woman! You'll never make it out of the bay!"

Annabelle glared, forgetting all the manners her mother taught her. "Don't test us. Give us the ship and you'll keep your dignity."

He roared with laughter. "What'll you do, miss? Not easy me clothes? I'll get another woman around her to do it!"

Annabelle scoffed and cocked an eyebrow before biting the inside of her cheek. She lifted her hand as she marched towards him, palm open as she smacked his cheek, knocking his balance.

She looked at the crew with a curled nose. "Who wants to end up like him? Nobody?"

Jack grabbed her by the elbow, hiding a grin. "Lads, this girl has a temper and neither me or the boy will stop her. I'm Captain Jack Sparrow, savvy?"

The men scrambled off the ship and Jack quickly started shouting directions to Annabelle and Will.

Annabelle put all her strength into pulling the ropes but it just wasn't enough. "Jack, they're coming!"

She pointed out towards a ship sailing towards them, no doubt carrying the Commodore and his men.

The Interceptor came right next to their ship, boarding and searching. Following Jack, the trio snuck onto the ship and sailed away.

"Annabelle?" The Commodore shouted. "Why?"

"Im trying to save my friend, unlike you!" Annabelle shouted back. "Tell that to Governor Swann!"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Will sat on a barrel and sharpened his sword as Annabelle sat on the stairs leading towards the wheel and hummed to herself. Will would look up at her sometimes and watch her for a moment. She looked so carefree, like they weren't trying to save one of her best friends from pirates while running from a Navy.

"When I was a lad living in England, my mother raised me by herself. After she died, I came out here, looking for my father." Will said and broke the silence. Annabelle looked over at him, stopping her humming.

"Is that so?" Jack said. Will stopped sharpening his sword and looked up at Jack.

"My father, Will Turner. At the jail, it was only after you learned my name that you agreed to help. Since that's what we wanted, I didn't press the matters I'm not a simpleton Jack. You knew my father." Will said. Annabelle got up and walked to Will once he got up, feeling the tensions rising.

"I knew him. Probably one of the few who knew him as William Turner. Everyone else just called him Bootstrap or Bootstrap Bill." Jack said. Will looked at him with confusion.

"Bootstrap?" He said. Jack looked at him.

"Good man. Good pirate. I swear, you look just like him." Jack said. Annabelle held her breath once she saw the look that grew in his face.

"It's not true he was a merchant sailor. A good, respectable man who obeyed the law." Will said. Jack sighed and turned to him.

"He was a bloody pirate. A scallywag." Jack replied flatly. Will pointed his sword at Jacks neck and Annabelle yelped.

"My father was not a pirate!" Will said. Annabelle grabbed his arm and tried to pull it down, but he wouldn't move.

"Put it away, son. It's not worth you getting beat again." Jack said and looked at Annabelles attempts to calm Will down.

"You didn't beat me, you ignored the rules of engagement. In a fair fight, I'd killed you." Will said, glancing at Annabelle.

"Will..." She pleaded softly. "You can't fight a pirate, let alone on a ship." Will looked down at her and went to speak, but Jack cut him off.

"Then that's not much incentive for me to fight fair then, is it?" Jack said and moved one of the sails so the yard caught the pair and swung them over the ocean. Annabelle gasped and struggled to get a good grip. "Sorry love, not meant for you." Jack said with a grin to her. She glared as Will used his leg to kick her up slightly, helping her get a better grip. "Now, as long as you're just hanging there, pay attention. The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do. For instance, you can accept that your father was a pirate and a good man or you can't. You can listen to Annabelle, is that your name love? Oh never mind doesn't matter. Or you can't listen to her. But pirate is in your blood, boy, so you'll have to square with that someday. Now, me, for example, I can let you drown but I can't bring this ship into Tortuga all by my onesy, savvy?" Jack said. He swung them back onto the ship and they both fell onto the floor and groaned in pain. Jack flipped Wills sword and held it out to him. "Can you sail under the command of a pirate, or can you not?" Jack asked. Will took the sword and looked at the pirate.

"Tortuga?" He asked. Jack nodded.

"Tortuga."