02

Annabelle Davis sat herself on a bench in front of her home, although her mother was nowhere to be found. She fanned herself off from the heat, although it did nothing.

The girl looked up as she heard someone stop before her, and saw Elizabeth absolutely drenched. "There was a pirate, and he saved me from drowning, but then threatened me!"

Annabelle gasped. "Are you alright?"

"Oh, yes, a little alarmed but not hurt." Elizabeth nodded.

Annabelle smirked as she looked to her friend. "Now, back to that pirate part..."

Elizabeth scowled. "Annabelle, I left that fantasy behind long ago. You should as well, it's stupid and hopeless, we both know it."

Annabelle returned the scowl and huffed. "Of course, I'll find Will, I suppose we could wander about."

Elizabeth tightened her lips. "I'm sorry, Annie, but yes, I'd like to wander with you both."

Annabelle nodded, smiling lightly at the nickname she hadn't heard in years. "I'll return later, Lizzie."

The two laughed before Annabelle truly left for the smithy. Annabelle smiled as she pulled on the handle of the front door, ready to whisk Will away and complain about the heat and the ceremony, however, it wouldn't budge.

Annabelle frowned, knowing Will wouldn't have done that, so she pressed her ear to the door. She heard incoherent talking and the clanging of metal, but it wasn't like she heard when Will was welding, it was what she heard when the two would sword fight.

Annabelle felt fear course through her body as she rushed around the building and to the back door, knowing there was not a lock back there. She burst in and was met with a strange sight.

William Turner was frozen as he blocked a sword from what looked like a pirate. Wills eyes popped out. "Annabelle? What are you... get out of here!"

The pirate grinned. "So that's your girl! Beauty, she is."

Will scowled. "She is not my girl, and don't you dare talk about her like that!"

"Ah, so I have a chance?"

"No!" Annabelle and Will huffed.

Annabelle grabbed her sword off the rack, rose encrusted into the hilt, her favorite flower and her middle name. It was the most beautiful sword she'd ever see and Will had made it for her, just for her.

Annabelle surged forwards and clashed swords with the pirate. "You're the pirate who attack Elizabeth, eh? Not a good way into a girls heart."

"Perhaps," the man grinned. "Although, I did save her life prior to attacking."

Annabelle scoffed. "That does not cancel out!"

Finally, she knocked his sword from his hands and held her sword to his neck. He responded by pulling a gun out. Annabelle frowned. "That's cheating!"

Will pulled her behind him. "Stay behind me. Wouldn't expect any less from a pirate."

"Love birds, please allow me to go. This shot isn't meant for either of you." The man almost begged.

Before either could object to being called love birds or to letting him go, glass was knocked upon his head and he collapsed to the floor.

As if on que, the Commodore and his men rushed in. "Excellent work, Mr. Brown, you've assured in the capture of a dangerous fugitive."

"Just doing my civic duty, sir." Mr. Brown said, slur obvious.

The Commodore smiled then looked down at Annabelle. "What is a woman like you doing with a sword? I figured you would've known your place."

Annabelle felt fury course in her veins as she wished to punch him, but refrained. "I was only helping, doing my civic duty."

The man frowned down upon her. "That doesn't matter, scamper off and look more presentable."

Annabelle scowled at him as he walked out, and the moment she saw a cut on Will, everything melted. "Are you alright?"

Will scoffed at her change in emotions. "I'm alright, don't worry."

Annabelle smiled. "I told Elizabeth I'd come get you, we thought we could wander and talk about what came to mind."

Will nodded. "That sounds lovely, let us go."

"She'll never believe we fought a pirate!" Annabelle grinned.

The pair walked out of the smithy and went off to find Elizabeth and tell her all about their little 'adventure'.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hours later, once the sun finally set on Port Royale and while the town was sleeping, Annabelle was just preparing for bed. She hummed to herself as she combed her hair, only stopping when her candle blew out.

She looked around, frowning as she walked to her window to notice there was no wind.

Her curiosity turned to fear as a cannon sounded, and she let out a scream as more followed. "Mother?"

"Annabelle!" Evelyn Davis called back. "Are you alright?"

Annabelle scrambled from her room as the town shook. "Yes! Are you?"

"Yes, my dear!"

Annabelle stood in her parlor as she thought out her next steps, until Will was bursting through her door. "You're alright!"

Annabelle nodding, taking her sword from him. She looked back to her mother. "I... mother, is it alright?"

Evelyn only nodded. "Of course. Just come back."

Annabelle nodded, then rushed out her door and followed Will. "What's happening? Why are we being attacked?"

"Probably that bloody pirate from earlier. Jack Sparrow."

Annabelle scoffed. "That's an odd name. He must like birds."

Pirates approached the pair, and Annabelle was ready for anything. She blocked a pirate and then stabbed him through the stomach. She cringed at the sound he made, but she was pushed from her thoughts when she looked around.

"Elizabeth!" She shouted, seeing her dearest friend being carried away. "Will, we have to save her!"

Annabelle picked up the hem of her nightgown and went to run, however the pirate she just killed was right before her, dirty grin on his face. "Did I not just kill you?"

The pirate shrugged. "Better luck next time."

Annabelle frowned until she felt a throb on the back of her head and the world faded to black.