23. The Watchdog's Keeper

Sebastian turns, glowing fuchsia eyes scanning the moonlit forest. A soft breeze rustles the leaves and he turns again, just in time to catch the one lunging at him. The demon's lips are covered by the soul keeper's, a soft moan escaping him as said keeper's white wings surround him in a feathery cocoon. Thorne pulls the demon close with a small chuckle, nuzzling his lover.

"Almost had you that time," Thorne says with a smile.

"Almost," Sebastian agrees, his hands against the keeper's chest. "I missed this. We never did get a chance earlier, did we."

"Too many people," the soul keeper mumbles, cradling the demon. "You're nice and warm... I'm told our masters have decided a meeting spot in London at sunset."

The demon nods, "It seems as such. We simply have to get through a day with the other earl. I'm sure you'll have a harder time between your creation being your creation and the servants being themselves. And you're not allowed to create puppets or otherwise alter souls, you do this as I have to."

Thorne pouts, "Fine. But you do it as I have to, none of your fire-using or manifestation. We do our best to stick to the abilities our kinds share, hmm?"

"Very well," Sebastian muses. "Now, daily routines..."

Ciel wakes to morning sunlight, the sound of pouring tea and soft humming. He sits up tiredly, rubbing his eyes and smiling slightly at the yawning panther cub next to his leg, a smile he quickly hides.

"Good morning, master." Ciel blinks, shielding his eyes. "Today we have roasted halibut with a mint salad. I also have maple scones if you feel like trying one. They're a little specialty of mine."

The young earl blinks, the form of the long-haired butler coming into focus. "Thorne."

"Yes?"

"I suppose you and Sebastian switched in the night?" Ciel asks, letting the keeper tie the eyepatch around his head.

"Indeed," Thorne smiles, dressing the earl quickly and smoothly. "I'll do my best to meet your expectations, however you may prepare for a few surprises or habits of mine that I forget to dismiss for the time being."

"As long as they don't interfere with your job," the boy replies. "My schedule?"

Thorne hums, "I'm told you've a lunch meeting with a Mrs. Jayde Griffin of Griffin Sweets Company in looking to partner with you and Funtom Corporation. Besides that, you are free for the day until you're to meet my bond-holder in London though I suggest you look into your latest job in the hours before."

Ciel frowns slightly, "You suggest?"

"I do," Thorne says, gently stroking the panther puppet. "It's my job to make sure you take the wisest course of action, is it not? So if I may suggest my thoughts on courses of action, it is more information you may find useful."

The young earl nods. "Very well. I assume you've planned out the futures you'd prefer?"

Thorne gives him an innocent smile, "Not this time, no. See, my demon and I have decided we use only the powers we share. I do enjoy going in blind anyway."

"I see," Ciel replies, raising a brow. "And at what point do you warn me if I or anyone else is going to make a decision that could endanger me or my goals?"

"Before it becomes irreversible," Thorne replies. "I have what you may call a warning system in which my magic will warn me of the approach of any such futures and how to avoid them. You won't know what the bad decision is or what could have gone wrong, however. Now this Griffin Sweets Company, may I assume you know of their true intentions?"