3. Game of Deceit and Suprise

"Young master, are you hurt?" Sebastian asks, looking over his master.

"I'm fine," Ciel says, swatting Sebastian's hand away as Thorne appears in the room, expression blank. "Men that looked like the ones in the other room, they took Earl Thornheart. But for some reason they left me."

"Probably to avoid unnecessary trouble," Thorne murmurs, walking over to the window. "It looks like the next game has already started, and much sooner than expected. Raven was right, this will be more fun."

"They're headed for London," a soft voice says.

"So that's where you two have been hiding," Thorne says as two identical people come in through the window. "On the roof again, Noble, Alpha?"

"It's quiet," the two men say together.

"It is," Thorne agrees. He looks to the Earl and Butler, "this are the twins, Noble and Alpha. They're the only servants you have left to meet."

"More of your puppets?" Sebastian muses, sensing the lack of human soul in the twins.

Thorne nods. "All of the servants are. The only human living in the manor is Raven. Everyone else is a puppet, or me. Now, Noble, Alpha, go help Claire in the ballroom. Ramsey, you go with them, we won't be needing the tea at the moment."

Ciel turns around, seeing the servant Ramsey in the doorway with a silver cart holding a tea set, steam coming from the spout of the pot. Nodding, the puppet turns and follows the twins away, taking the cart with him.

When Ciel looks back, he sees Thorne starting to clean up the room.

"Shouldn't you be going after Earl Thornheart?" Ciel asks, confused.

"Call him Raven, he would want you to," Thorne says, sliding the book back into their spots on the shelf. "And he'll be fine. I just need to wait until he calls for me."

"Wait for him to call you?" Sebastian repeats.

"Yes," Thorne replies. "He would likely be mad if I came for him before then. My master enjoys fooling others into thinking he is weak, all bark and no bite - well I suppose it would be all growl no claws for his position - and then striking when they least expect it. It is a game that remains a favorite of his even after the many times we have played it."

As he goes to continue, Thorne's eyes turn black again and he pauses as Claire calls for him to look through her eyes. She's holding a letter, letting Thorne read over it.

Sabre and Shadow,

How are you two doing? It's certainly been a while since you last visited us. We miss you, all of us, even Beast, though she won't really admit it. I hope you're well, and everything's going alright with you. I thought I'd let you know we're coming to London soon, so I hope you'll be able to visit us.

- Joker

Thorne smiles softly, his eyes fading back to normal. "Well, it's just one interesting thing after another. Raven will be happy. It's certainly has been a while since we've gone to see them. Now then—" He pauses, hearing Raven calling him. "Well, that's much sooner than anticipated. Stay here, will you?"

Thorne walks towards the window, preparing to jump out.

"Wait!" Ciel calls. "Let Sebastian and I come with you. I want to see exactly what it is this game of Earl Thornheart's involves."

Thorne pauses, considering it. "Alright. Just make sure you both stay out of the way. Sebastian, make sure you protect him; this game can get quite wild, no place for a defenseless Earl such as your master. And one last thing." There's a sound like a sudden rush of wind, and large white wings appear from Thorne's back as he sends the Earl and Butler a sly grin, "make sure you can keep up."