5. Explanation

"And why did you wake me so early?" Ciel says angrily, yawning as he sits up.

"It was a request from the head Butler Thorne on behalf of Earl Thornheart," Sebastian replies. "The Earl wants you to meet him in the lounge as quickly as possible to watch the sun rise with him."

"Watch the sun rise?" Ciel scoffs, "what a stupid thing to do. But I suppose it would be rude to refuse."

He swings his legs over the side of the bed, Sebastian starting to dress him.

As Ciel stands up, there's a loud knocking on the door.

"Phantomhive?" Raven's voice calls, "are you up yet?"

Ciel opens the door, revealing the smiling Earl. Subconsciously, a small happiness sparks in Ciel, seeing that smile.

"Ready?" Raven asks.

"Yes," Ciel replies. "Sebastian told me that Thorne requested I join you in the lounge to watch the sunrise."

"Not in the lounge! We're just going out of the lounge. It has the easiest access to the roof. Come on, we're gone miss it!"

Raven grabs Ciel's hand, dragging him down the hall, grip light enough that Ciel could pull his hand away whenever he wanted to, but he doesn't. He runs along with Raven, something telling him not to pull away.

Sebastian follows the two boys, a smirk on his lips, watching his master.

When they make it to the lounge, they find Thorne waiting at the window, a small ball of light in his hand, a few strings of light coming from the fingertips of the other hand, connecting to the ball.

"If I give her a tendency to rebel and do the opposite of what she's asked to," he mumbles. "And let's give her nice blonde hair like her mother's."

"And give her big blue eyes and see if she can use her looks to get away with things," Raven pipes up, grinning. "Who's she going to?"

"The Earl of the house of Middleton," the soul Keeper replies. His eyes turn white, a sign he's looking into the future of the girl he's creating. As he eyes fade back to their icy blue, he grins, "this girl with be interesting for sure." He blows softly on the soul, sending it off to join it's body growing within the mother. "Sorry, I thought I'd have that done before you got here."

"It's fine, now let's go," Raven replies, opening the window and standing on the sill.

He moves to the edge of the window, swinging out of view. Thorne jumps out of the window, his wings coming out, hovering close to the window. They can hear Raven climbing up, before he calls, "you coming or not, Phantomhive?"

A little nervous, Ciel moves to the window, leaning out to try and see how Raven got out.

"There are some footholds in the wall," Thorne says, pointing some of them out. "Once you can reach it, grab the edge of the roof and pull yourself up. Raven will be there to help if you need it. Or if you're too nervous, you can have Sebastian or I carry you up."

"No, it's fine," Ciel says, feeling it would be embarrassing to have someone carry him if Raven could manage to get up.

Hanging on to the edge of the window, Ciel stands on the sill, reaching for the first foothold. He manages to swing over so he's holding onto the wall, both hands and feet on a hold on the stone. Slowly, he starts moving up, pulling himself onto the roof, careful to not slip on the slanted surface.

Everything is still covered in shadows, but the sky is slowly lightening as the sun approaches.

Ciel's eyes widen, seeing that there are some roofs of the manor that are flat and have doors, like his manor does.