17. Soul Keeper Babysitter

Certain lines and scenes are from Black Butler: Book of Murder

"This will be interesting..." Thorne muses, sitting in his guest room. "Interesting indeed..."

A small ball of soft yellow light appears in front of him suddenly, surprising the soul keeper. As Thorne reaches out, the ball fades to reveal a roll of parchment within. Taking the parchment, he reads over the elegant scrawl written.

Thorne Crowe,

By request of soul keeper Melissa Stirling, your presence is required at a short meeting to decide the punishment of the mentioned keeper.

This meeting is happening currently and we expect you to arrive shortly.

Head of Soul Keeper Management,
Marcus Lawliet

Thorne sighs. What did she do now?

Standing, he tucks the note away inside his tailcoat before making his way towards the front doors of the manor, deciding against exiting through the window where he may be more easily seen by any still-awake guests.

"Where are you off to at this late hour?" Sebastian says, seeing the soul keeper at the doors.

"The Soul Keeper Realm. Seems Melissa got into trouble and has chosen me as her punishment overseer."

The demon lets out a little hum. "Well, try not to take too long... I was hoping to get some private time together."

"Me too," Thorne replies. "I'll be back soon, love."

Getting a nod from the demon, the soul keeper slips out of the manor and into the pouring rain. Letting his wings come out, he disappears. Landing outside the main building in the realm, Thorne flicks his wings and shakes himself like a dog, getting most of the rainwater off before he hurries into the building.

He finds the right meeting room quickly, seeing Melissa and Marcus waiting. The room is simple, a long table with many office chairs surrounding it. The walls are a light beige, the floor a smooth spruce wood.

"Alright, what did you do?" Thorne asks, sitting next to Melissa.

"Oh, that's nice, Crowe," Melissa replies playfully. "Two years and that's how you greet me. What's with the mask?"

"A job I'm working on," Thorne replies, fingers lightly running over the skin-tight mask. "Now really, what did you do?"

Melissa shrugs, an innocent smile on her lips.

Marcus sighs. "She missed the due date of multiple soul creations and the one she did create was so over-complicated, it even contained some of her magic and had to be destroyed. Normally, this would be overlooked, but when ten souls are missed, punishment must be done."

Thorne sighs, "And I assume you want me to babysit for a few days and make sure she gets her work done?"

"Indeed," Marcus replies. "You are an incredibly capable keeper, Thorne, which is why I'm allowing her to be watched by you, despite your current bond to one Raven Thornheart."

Thorne sighs again. "Very well. I'm not exactly in the best position for this right now though, and I have some rules you need to follow, Stirling. Got it?"

"Of course. I'll do my best," Melissa replies honestly.

"Good," Marcus says. "If you'll excuse me, I have other work to attend to."

The management head gets up and leaves, leaving the two friends alone.

"So what're your rules, brother mine?" Melissa asks as she and Thorne get up and start walking towards the main doors of the building.