28. The Hidden Future

Undertaker watches silently as Thorne paces the room. The soul keeper is on edge, his hair messed up from running his fingers through it. Raven and Elizabeth sit at the end of Ciel's bed, Ciel himself leaning against the pillows propped up against the headboard.

"Something's happened," Undertaker states worriedly.

Thorne nods. "Apparently Melissa visited Vira last night. She didn't want the Soul Keeper Dispatch to know she'd spoken to me. This is getting serious, Undertaker; Melissa claims the Grim Reaper Dispatch has begun investigating the strange cases."

"That can't be all," Raven says.

Thorne purses his lips, shaking his head. "They've hidden all the possible futures surrounding us."

"They've what?" Undertaker splutters, shocked.

"They've reactivated the Future Censorship division of the Soul Keeper Dispatch." Thorne waves his hands, his icy eyes narrowed and his lips pulled back in a frustrated sneer. "I'm blind, Undertaker. Anything relating to any of this is hidden."

"You must have looked before and remember some of it," Elizabeth says worriedly.

Thorne stops, taking a deep breath and massaging his temples. "I remember enough for the next few days. Then I'm useless."

"Future-seeing or not, Thorne, you are not useless," Ciel says firmly. "Now, will the soul keepers who are part of this future censoring division see the futures they censor?"

"It's not keepers who do the censoring," Thorne replies. "It's the artifact—a crystal ball of all things—that lets us see the futures in the first place. Keepers in the division merely point out an event and the artifact will remove anything relating to it from our reach. The division was deactivated centuries ago since it was so unused."

The keeper growls in frustration, snarling at the wall as he goes back to pacing. "I should have expected this. Any future where that bloody crystal may be used is always hidden automatically. I should have studied and planned better."

"Should have will get you nowhere," Raven says firmly. He rises from his place and moves to stand in Thorne's path, arms crossed. "The stakes here are much higher than we're used to, Thorne. What can we do now to ensure our victory?"

"The fact of the matter," Anthea states calmly, "Is that someone is stealing cinematic records before our collecting division gets to them."

Anthea has been around for centuries. She'd become well-known in the Grim Reaper Dispatch as a hard worker and a no-nonsense kind of person. That is good for her current position as one of the reaper representatives in the Council.

The Immortal Council is naturally a tense place. A single room in its own plane of existence as a neutral space to hold the council meetings. The room is a neutral grey, circular and ancient in decoration. Tall stone pillars stand around the walls, a few vases and sculptures around to fill the space. Nothing overly extravagant or showy. The eight representatives, two from each divine species, sit around a table large enough to give each representative their own space. Rivalries between species tend to make clear, tensionless communication a difficult task, and it's rare that meetings end with no one pissed off.

"Well, it's not one of ours," drawls one of the demon representatives, a dark-skinned woman with silver hair and an extinct accent to her voice.

"Everyone knows demons love souls, not records." One of the angels rolls his eyes. "I doubt you could find a demon obsessed with anything else. Your kind is rather... small-minded, when it comes to divine life."